Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I decided to do the IAH delete and was working on the Crank Vent when I noticed my turbo compressor wheel has some damage, probably from the original owner using a k&n drop in. I upgraded to the K&N 4" cone.
I don't have a ton of money laying arround and am unsure what to do. What are my options? I'm thinking replace compressor wheel with wicked wheel or stock and run it till I'm ready to upgrade, buy a junkyard turbo and run it keeping the damaged unit to run a compound system later (does it make sense to run 38r compounds?), or buy a reman or new turbo of any other type that doesn't have surge problems and is capable of making more boost. Money is an issue right now any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics of what I found, the chips worry me.

Attachments

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
If you are that concerned you could always put a wicked wheel in it there under 100 bucks now these days. And a lot of people on here aren't big on k&n stuff it seems

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm also curious if this is something to be concerned with. would this potentially cause the turbo to be unbalanced and wear out the bearings? I don't have alot of turbo knowledge and worry because of the high speeds it spins at, also can't afford to replace the whole thing with new at this time (custody case for my kid lawyers are expensive!!!) I am curious if a junkyard unit from an international truck would be a good alternative and possibly larger/greater flow and or pressure. There are several truck salvage places here in town. If I'm spending 100 on a wicked wheel might as well spend 150 on an upgrade right?
Thanks for the help guys I wish I had more turbo knowledge.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
buy a junkyard turbo and run it keeping the damaged unit to run a compound system later (does it make sense to run 38r compounds?)
Do you have a ball bearing 38r now? Are you saying run a 38r and stock turbo as compounds? None of that makes any sense. If you have a stock turbo it's not a 38r. If you thinking of doing compounds with two turbos of the same size, no that would not work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a ball bearing 38r now? Are you saying run a 38r and stock turbo as compounds? None of that makes any sense. If you have a stock turbo it's not a 38r. If you thinking of doing compounds with two turbos of the same size, no that would not work.
I was mistaken, thanks for catching that. I have the gtp38 not gtp38r.
I know most people running a compound system use different sized turbos, the smaller to spool quickly and the larger to handle high pressure higher rpm. What my question should be is would two identical turbos in a compound setup increase pressure at the same cfm producing greater boost at the same flow rate. The first turbo having a pressure ratio of 1.51 to 1 feeding into the second which would also have a pr of 1.51 to 1 but seeing atmosphere as 22psi. In a compound setup the pr is added to atmosphere then multiplied and then atmosphere subtracted to calculate actual manifold pressure correct? correct me if I am wrong.
with this theory in mind two turbos of the same size should give similar benefits however would be limited in flow rate (cfm) to equal to a single turbo. I understand the setup takes much more complex calculations however as a preliminary or possibly an intermediate compound setup diy I'm curious how it may work.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
I think you need to take it one step at a time. You are asking about the fins on your stock Turbo and now your asking about running a compound set up. Where if you are currently running a stock Turbo with a k&n your on the opposite end of doing s compound set up

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
LOL, is all I will say !!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ask about compounds because if my turbo is dammaged and needs to be replaced, if I'm replacing out now why not put on something usable in my future compound setup for the primary. I don't want to buy a turbo to run for 7 months then replace again, sound like a waste to me.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I was mistaken, thanks for catching that. I have the gtp38 not gtp38r.
I know most people running a compound system use different sized turbos, the smaller to spool quickly and the larger to handle high pressure higher rpm. What my question should be is would two identical turbos in a compound setup increase pressure at the same cfm producing greater boost at the same flow rate. The first turbo having a pressure ratio of 1.51 to 1 feeding into the second which would also have a pr of 1.51 to 1 but seeing atmosphere as 22psi. In a compound setup the pr is added to atmosphere then multiplied and then atmosphere subtracted to calculate actual manifold pressure correct? correct me if I am wrong.
with this theory in mind two turbos of the same size should give similar benefits however would be limited in flow rate (cfm) to equal to a single turbo. I understand the setup takes much more complex calculations however as a preliminary or possibly an intermediate compound setup diy I'm curious how it may work.
LOL

I'm sorry, I can't take you seriously after that. You have pegged my troll radar. It's the only reasonable explanation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
then get off my thread, no need for name calling. I thought this page was for people with little out bad info to learn more. if nobody has any contribution to my questions I may have to find a sure that is more friendly.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
If you cant take the heat, don't post it in public.

You are only looking at one side of the turbo, do more research on the drive side. Drive pressures and egt's will excessive. You would need huge waste gates. It's pointless and an exercise in futility. You would actually lose performance over just a single stocker.

You say most people use a bigger atmo. Show me one person who doesn't.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
i love it when people contribute useful info, but it's not the same opinion of the poster and they get all pissed off. happens alot

·
Paul
160 Posts
Just put a new stock wheel on and ditch the K&N for something that will filter the air. Worry about the compounds when you have the coin.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Damn newbies any ways !! LMAO !! LOL :psnb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys That is actually what I was looking for.
If I misunderstood you before Big Bore my apologies.
I orderd the wicked wheel because it is actually cheaper than the stock wheel.

You say most people use a bigger atmo. Show me one person who doesn't.
As I stated before I am not an expert here, I have built several gas motors never a diesel. I have never messed with compounds personally but have seen them utilizing the same exact turbos, these were in aircraft engines and sometimes referred to as "series turbos" although the plumbing is identical. I was simply asking if you would see some benefit possibly not as much as with the setup everyone is running with 2 different turbos. I believe the point of the aircraft setup was due to low atmospheric pressure at altitude, however the same principals apply at sea level increased density into the engine is increased oxygen into the engine.

I don't want to offend anyone but Im not a complete rere maybe should have worded my questions better.
I was worried I would have to replace the whole turbo and didn't want to replace it twice, now I know all that is dammaged is the wheel that's all I'm messing with for now.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
thanks guys That is actually what I was looking for.
If I misunderstood you before Big Bore my apologies.
No apologies needed, I was being a little bit of a dyck, but I thought you were trolling the site.

As I stated before I am not an expert here, I have built several gas motors never a diesel. I have never messed with compounds personally but have seen them utilizing the same exact turbos, these were in aircraft engines and sometimes referred to as "series turbos" although the plumbing is identical.
I am by no means a turbo expert, I probably know just enough to be dangerous, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the reason that would work on the aircraft is due to it being a gas motor and not running same pressures and not having same heat issues.

Just as an example, most turbo gassers that are "hotrodded" are running less manifold pressure than a stock turbo diesel.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Less, most guys with a good set up might see 12 to 14 lbs tops. Gas engines dont hold up well to high boost, even built ones. THat being said, its not unheard of. I want to say the old days of Indy car the buick v-6 was pussing somewhere around 50, but thats not a street motor by any means. I think of it this way most guys on here would say 40lbs is up there before you get sereous, a equivelant gas might be 8 to 12 on the scale of performace wise I,d say. ANd even then were still talking a fire ringed motor to ours being studded and thats it So the moral to this is compareing a diesel to a gas engine is like apples to oranges. they look the same, have a lot of the same parts in side, but thats where the similarities end.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
skylinedan I couldn't have said it better. I personally (and I know some will laugh) had a dodge shadow. hell I laugh. after high school and it had a Mitsubishi block. I bought an eclipse Japanese motor (jdm) because they have a much stronger block. Hardened rods, forged pistons, forged crank, Garrett custom turbo (hybrid) custom inter-cooler, custom intake and exhaust manifolds, head gasket shims, custom boost controller, 2 independent fuel management systems, throttle body injector activated by wot condition, the list goes on and on the point is yes gassers usually don't take as much boost but can as long as you can give them enough fuel, lean is bad on a gasser it's hot and it eventually detonates. I had this happen 3 times blowing the head to pieces. I was personally running 28 lbs of boost and didn't have a problem destroying a vette with my fwd econobox.

the setup with the airplanes has severe lag, this isn't a problem for them because they don't change rpm often. I asked a buddy who is an aircraft mechanic and it is to be able to produce about 10psi at altitude where atmosphere is too thin to run efficiently n/a. So it is about efficiency not max output.

now I am on to bigger and far better things, the powerstroke.
this is a learning experience for me guys when I see something new I get excited and want to learn more about it.
I've built a big block 11.1 sec, the rice burner 10.2 sec, a crotch rocket 7.1, and now the diesel 1/4 time unknown lol.
I do understand it is different and thats why it appeals to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh and almost forgot. with the damaged stock turbo I hit 34lbs of boost tonight. Tripped fault codes: Overboost condition, Injection pressure not as expected, Injection timing not as expected, vehicle speed sensor out of range, and a few others that had no description. Time for custom tunes on that ts...... Who to go with..
Should I find someone close for custom tunes on the dyno?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts