Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change the turbo out. What would be the best turbo for my setup? I am currently running a GTP38r with 1.15 housing.

I do not tow almost at all.... If I do it would be towing a Mustang to the track or a small boat. The truck is a DD for me. I would like to make some big numbers if possible.

Mods:
-250cc/100%
-Stealth SRP1
-ITP Regulated Return
-Walboro Fuel Pump
-ARP Head Studs
-Comp 910's w/ DI Pushrods
-5 inch exhaust
-AFE Big Boost 6637 style setup

Thinking GT4202, GT4294, Modded H2E, S300, etc.

What would give me the best setup... I can stand a little lag for some nasty pull up top but I do not want it to be terrible.
:psn:

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am going with the GTX4294r w/1.15 housing on my new motor. With your 250cc 100% the 4294r should be a good clean 550hp with 1 / 1 drive pressure all the way to 42 psi. You will need to look at your tranny as well snowball effect the VB isnt going to cut it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I would love the GTX or even the R but it looks like JB for me hahaha. Maybe down the road after the BTS.

When I was looking at turbo specs I noticed some similarities between the 4202 and the 4294. They both use 82mm 84 trim exhaust wheels. The difference is on the compressor side. Does this mean they will spool the same maybe the 4202 being a hair longer due to more rotational mass???? Just a little confused by the numbers. Also the MAP looks allot bigger and broader on the 4202 and more limited in the 4294. Check it out:

GT4294 specs and MAP:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT42/GT4294_731376_1.htm

GT4202 specs and MAP:
TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a comparison of the MAP on the 4202/4294:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any input from you turbo gurus?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
They both use 82mm 84 trim exhaust wheels. The difference is on the compressor side. Does this mean they will spool the same maybe the 4202 being a hair longer due to more rotational mass???? Just a little confused by the numbers. ]
yup, id like to know also

·
Registered
267 Posts
The 4294r has a 70mm inducer compaired to the 4202r has a 74mm. The
70m will light at lower rpms, which is better for towing. Your tuner will have the big say in it as you will want to stay on top of the charger to eliminate lag. Now the GTX4294 is suppose to flow up top like a 4202r with the different inducer wheel design, so you get good towing and good performace when just dd. The GTX4202 moves the inducer to 76mm.

I want to be able to tow with no issue and have a hot street truck thats not laggy and flow good at high rpms

Lots of people tow heavy with a 4202r as well. Hell Dave Lott will tell you that you can tow with the Gt45 its all on when the TC is locked.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But how does the turbo "light faster" if the exhaust portion of both the turbos are identical.... same size and trime. Thats my big question. Because looking at that aspect of it its a no brainer to jump up to the 4202 with the 74mm inducer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts