Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slacker
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wanted to throw this out there to the collective wisdom of the site. Any idea why my turbo would get so hot on the compressor side that it would melt the rubber coupler on my S&B intake? Here's some pics. The dark spot on the housing in the first pic is melted rubber.

·
Slacker
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EGT's were fine. I keep them in check right around 1250* as the max. Nope, didn't loan it out to anyone. Truck runs fine and my last oil analysis is great!

·
professional slacker
632 Posts
I have no idea then, the first thing that came to mind was that video on youtube of the glowing turbo.

Bad bearings in the turbo maybe.....Does the oil help cool the turbo if so maybe something is wrong with the oiling system in it.

·
Slacker
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That could be dirt, a poor seal from the intake tube
Look a bit lower on the compressor housing-it's melted rubber. Best I can rationalize is that the S&B filter media doesn't flow well enough since I am constantly cleaning it (about every month or so). I have been datalogging quite a bit and temps are still normal and the truck is running fine. The stocker is back in with a new filter and the turbo seems to spool up quite a bit easier.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,215 Posts
Look a bit lower on the compressor housing-it's melted rubber. Best I can rationalize is that the S&B filter media doesn't flow well enough since I am constantly cleaning it (about every month or so). I have been datalogging quite a bit and temps are still normal and the truck is running fine. The stocker is back in with a new filter and the turbo seems to spool up quite a bit easier.
Interesting for sure!

Does your turbo have the updated oil drain tube?

·
Registered
357 Posts
the compressor side of the turbo doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the exhaust, but when you are making up to 30 psi of boost it will be way too hot to touch. could easily be near 200F esp in Az, with high ambient temps. when you add the trace of oil from crankcase recirc to high temps the rubber could start breaking down. the only way to tell if its really normal would be to monitor the temp of the air coming out of the compressor wheel.

·
Slacker
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the compressor side of the turbo doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the exhaust, but when you are making up to 30 psi of boost it will be way too hot to touch. could easily be near 200F esp in Az, with high ambient temps. when you add the trace of oil from crankcase recirc to high temps the rubber could start breaking down. the only way to tell if its really normal would be to monitor the temp of the air coming out of the compressor wheel.
Thanks. I would hope that the rubber coupling could handle 200* intake, if that is what it is... BTW, I have had my CCV rerouted for several years, so there's no oil coming into my intake.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Shawn I'm leaning towards the material of the rubber part, the factory design n a few others use a hard plastic design, those soft plastic may not hold up to temps like a hard material, I have the same intake as well guess we'll see what mine does in time as well, did notice it was a little sticky when I took it off the other day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts