Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having what seams to me like vgt problems. Every so often it feels like the turbo is not there at all when taking off from a stop. The truck will accellerate very slowly even at WOT. It will rev to 3000 or so and then the turbo wistles back into life. Then it upshifts and goes like a bat out of H#LL. My quandry is weather to replace the turbo or just fix it if that is even an option. I hate to go through all that trouble of removing the turbo and not putting somthing back in there that is better than what i took out. Any sugestions?

New to the forum and new to owning a powerstroke. I am a Chevy guy but i got such a deal on this thing that i couldnt pass it up. I would like to give it a shot though. see what the Powerstroke has to offer. Not a bad truck so far but i have only had it 4 mounths.

·
Registered
202 Posts
replace with a non vgt

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
He has stock injectors...if you are going to replace it go with a Powermax. They are cheaper than a Reman stock ford charger. Just my .02

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is fixing the stock turbo possible? If so, how? I guess i didnt realize how much turbos cost. Also, if i cant get to doing it for a while is there any risk of damaging the engine if i continue to drive it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
you could always find a used one. they go for 400 or so

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i was two bye a used one, is there a prefered year that i should look for. One of my buddys is always telling me to get one off of an 03 because its bigger but he seldom knows his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
03 is not bigger. It is quite a bit louder because it only has 10 vains on the turbine compared to the 15 on the other models.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Yes what Zach said 03 turbo not bigger just louder. I have a used turbo here off an 06 with I believe 20k miles on it. But you won't get a power increase with a diffrent turbo on these motors unless you add fuel as well. I never had any problems with vanes sticking on my vgt's. Biggest things with a Vgt charger is keep good clean oil in the motor and run it like you stole it! Sounds crazy but it works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If your interested I am selling a 06 Turbo. I am just looking to get rid of it. Will Give ya a good deal Just want it gone. It has just been cleaned. As of three days ago

·
Registered
922 Posts
the vanes are just sticking. there is nothing wrong with yours. save yourself the money and clean it!!! cheap and easy to do!!! if you need info on it send me a PM and ill shoot you over the write up and i will be glad to walk you though it also! or take it to a dealership (a reputiable one) and tell them you want the turbo cleaned because its sticking. they will know what you are talking about and get you down the road pretty cheap!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If your interested I am selling a 06 Turbo. I am just looking to get rid of it. Will Give ya a good deal Just want it gone. It has just been cleaned. As of three days ago
I'll keep you in mind but I think I'm gonna try to clean the one I have. Try to save as many green backs as i can. If I clean the one i've got then it makes room in the budget for other mods. Thinking heavaly about putting a Batmowheel on it while i've got it apart.

·
Registered
922 Posts
that would be the best time to do it! for the most part if your turbo is blown the shaft will have tons of play in it! if it doesnt move forward or backwards or side to side then you should be good. now the side to side will have slight play but its almost not noticable

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the vanes are just sticking. there is nothing wrong with yours. save yourself the money and clean it!!! cheap and easy to do!!! if you need info on it send me a PM and ill shoot you over the write up and i will be glad to walk you though it also! or take it to a dealership (a reputiable one) and tell them you want the turbo cleaned because its sticking. they will know what you are talking about and get you down the road pretty cheap!
Thanks, the write up would most defiantly prove valuable. I have had a lot of time under the hood of 7.3 trucks but really never done anything with 6.0 trucks. Just looking under the hood of my new project, one can tell very instantly that jerking the turbo out of one of these is much more involved that a 7.3 truck.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
probably the most aggravating thing is detaching the pipes and removing the turbo from the pedestal. bolts on the backside are a little tricky, and the mofo isn't very light. LOL

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well hopefully i will agree with you guys buy the end of next weekend. I've pulled a few 7.3 stroker turbos and they were pretty simple. That must mean that the 6.0 stroker turbo removal will be a snap. lol. Actually kind of excited about doing it. I like getting into new projects that i havnt done before. Usually its on someone elses truck though lol. Thanks for all the help and incite on this issue. I really appreciate it guys. I'll let ya'll know how it goes for me. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts