Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
SO if your drive pressure is at 50psi, your boost was 30psi. Your gonna gate it at 40psi in the end whats the drive pressure then 60psi ? or if not higher. Ivan doesnt injectors play a big roll in pressures as well. Some of this explains why housing sizes should be picked as well. Remember when Busted Performance were making custom turbine housings LOL

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
SO if your drive pressure is at 50psi, your boost was 30psi. Your gonna gate it at 40psi in the end whats the drive pressure then 60psi ? or if not higher. Ivan doesnt injectors play a big roll in pressures as well. Some of this explains why housing sizes should be picked as well. Remember when Busted Performance were making custom turbine housings LOL
Not sure what your asking me....
In the videos, you can see that the turbos drive pressure to boost pressure was 1:1 until about 35 psi. Then the drive pressure climbed higher then the boost did.
I would have liked a gated housing for it, and then set the gate to crack open as soon as the drive started to get higher then the boost pressure.
Of course injector size plays a factor in turbine housing/and drive pressure.
On my twins I had over 100 psi drive pressure to just over 80 psi boost. The wastegate in the secondary was not able to relieve enough pressure...so changes have been made to fix that....
Oh yeah...Busted Performance and the 64/71/50 I had imploded the turbine housing, and needed Uhm....repair.

·
Registered
338 Posts
How and where are you guys reading turbo back psi. ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
How and where are you guys reading turbo back psi. ?
I just put a tee at the ebp sensor on the front drivers ex manifold then ran a line to a temporary boost gauge in the truck.
The fitting is a 5/16th jic nipple.

Sorry if I'm a little off topic.

Good info here thou!!! Keep it alive boys!!:bowfast:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just put a tee at the ebp sensor on the front drivers ex manifold then ran a line to a temporary boost gauge in the truck.
The fitting is a 5/16th jic nipple.

Sorry if I'm a little off topic.

Good info here thou!!! Keep it alive boys!!:bowfast:
Would it be a good idea to put in a regular gauge to keep an eye on it ?

Thanks

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
what was your secondary anyways ? I forgot. Werent your trying to do like 90psi drive pressure and 80 psi boost something along those lines I cant remember.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Its easy enough to do, can't see why not. If you got the room for another gauge, go for it.
I have the room.
Would a 0-100psi boost gauge work?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
what was your secondary anyways ? I forgot. Werent your trying to do like 90psi drive pressure and 80 psi boost something along those lines I cant remember.
If this is to me:

I was running a 66/71/80.
The gate ports are too small though, and have to be opened up to control the injectors I have. (225/100)

I would have liked to have as close to 1:1 ratio as possible...

Even with the pressures I had (100 drive to 80 boost) the ratio was 1.25:1 overall.
I have gauges hooked up to see drive pressure off the engine exhaust manifolds to the secondary turbo, drive pressure to the primary turbo, output pressure of the primary to the secondary, and the final boost to the intake manifold.
cough, cough..gauge whore...

·
Super Moderator
3,396 Posts
This getting off topic. Not being rude this is a turbo discussion not boost readings. Thank you :)
Don't forget Kev building the perfect beast requires more than just one subject area. People need to realize there are a TON of factors that play into building motors. Just watch any NHRA event....they talk about tires, air pressure, humidity, etc etc etc......ALL factors to make those beasts run.

Once people realize this then they can understand why vehicles nowadays have so many computers.

Back to the OP.....:psn::psn:

·
Registered
115 Posts
could someone explain what the difference is in a t3 and t4 housing?

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok. what would be the advantage to a divided or open flange?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
divided housings are tighter usually than the same size open housing Divided housings can also be used with diverter valves, which use a flap that closes off one side of the divided housing until a certain pressure to increase spool up time. Divided housings are designed for divided up pipes to get the true effect of a divided exhaust housing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ok so which one would spool better a divided housing with a diverter valve, or a divided housing with reworked up pipes to utilize each side of the housing?

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
depends, you'd really need to do a lot of testing.. all i know is shawn ellerton switched to divided up pipes with a divided housing and it did wonders for him

·
Registered
115 Posts
that makes since seeing as each side goes into its own volute. anyone have any tips for making the divided up pipes?

61 - 80 of 90 Posts