Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't real sure where to put this but it's for my 6.0 so here goes.

I'm looking at 2 different turbo's that i am thinking about putting on my truck when i get the money.

They are both VGT's and have the same inducer size, but one has a bigger exducer. How does that affect how they perform?

one is a 64.7/88
other is a 64.7/94

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
I wasn't real sure where to put this but it's for my 6.0 so here goes.

I'm looking at 2 different turbo's that i am thinking about putting on my truck when i get the money.

They are both VGT's and have the same inducer size, but one has a bigger exducer. How does that affect how they perform?

one is a 64.7/88
other is a 64.7/94
You sure the other isn't 67.8? Just get the Garrett replacement... It works. I promise...

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure the other isn't 67.8? Just get the Garrett replacement... It works. I promise...
Yea im sure unless the websites are saying the wrong thing, i had them both pulled up when i wrote it

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Well let's see if I get this rite lol, the inducer side drawing a certain amount of air being that they are both 64.7 means they are both intaking same amount of air, as for the exducer side its becomes the amount of volume n flow rate, the bigger exducer side means more airflow at a volume, with it having just a lil smaller housing your getting a tighter housing more velocity vs volume.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Have you called them to verify the wheel sizes? Since I'm pretty sure they are using garrett parts and the 88 and the 94 wheels come from certain turbos.

You can see what those wheels come off of on Garretts website...

Then you can see how much larger the turbine wheels that are paired with them.

Again... Get the Garrett replacement. It works.

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you called them to verify the wheel sizes? Since I'm pretty sure they are using garrett parts and the 88 and the 94 wheels come from certain turbos.

You can see what those wheels come off of on Garretts website...

Then you can see how much larger the turbine wheels that are paired with them.

Again... Get the Garrett replacement. It works.

PM sent

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Another vote for the Garrett PowerMax, I have it with just stock programming and injectors and it works great. Rescue has it with bigger sticks and tuning and has over 500hp.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well let's see if I get this rite lol, the inducer side drawing a certain amount of air being that they are both 64.7 means they are both intaking same amount of air, as for the exducer side its becomes the amount of volume n flow rate, the bigger exducer side means more airflow at a volume, with it having just a lil smaller housing your getting a tighter housing more velocity vs volume.
so basically the 88 will boost faster than the 94 but the 94 will build more boost. correct?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
so basically the 88 will boost faster than the 94 but the 94 will build more boost. correct?
If I'm wrong correct me, I used to read up on a lot of different turbos, common knowledge, a smaller housing normally means quicker, larger u get a little laggy with that concept in mind yes to what ur saying ur exhaust side is what ultimatly controls ur boost if ur rpms are low you aint gonna spin the turbo with a big housing vs a smaller housing does that make sense , that's when wastegates can come to play as well

·
Still learning
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey rescue, you got a GT 3788VA?

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Yes I do, I got the first batch that came out months ago

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
How much of a difference will the 3788 turbo make with stock sticks on a stock truck with a tune? Faster spool? Quicker blown stock bolts lol?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Its a larger turbo, so it won't spool faster than a stock turbo. Tuned, it will spool faster than stock programming, but with both tuned, the smaller stock turbo will spool faster.

·
Maroon truck guy
427 Posts
How much of a difference will the 3788 turbo make with stock sticks on a stock truck with a tune? Faster spool? Quicker blown stock bolts lol?
knock off .3 to .5 in the 1/4. Stock head bolts will be fine with the right tune as its timing that blows them.

·
Power Junky
1,054 Posts
I thought putting the key in the ignition is what caused head gasket failures.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have run both, and it is not a simple answer. Anyone that is lending you advice that has not run the 94 should be ignored, if they have been playing the game longer or have been there done that does not matter. You either tried it or not. The 94 was not for towing, and the only person that could tune it right was the same person that sold it to me, Tadd at Elite(Vgt SSX). That being said, with his tuning it ran cooler and stronger than the 88. The Powermax is a new turbo, the others are remans, so it is all relative to what is important to you.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts