Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jimmy96psd
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not so much a problem just bein curious. When I start my truck when its cold it runs fine for about ten seconds then it starts letting pressure out of the turbo. It lasts for about ten seconds then it just stops. Ive driven others the same stile and year that do not do this.. Is this a problem I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
It's there to aid the engine warm up...

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
I guess I'm more basing it off the fact that it took the same amount of time for engine oil temp warm up (forget what number I had the alert set at) after sitting unplugged over night when it was in the mid teens. Took the same amount of time to get warm heat.

Not a real scientific test but I would let it idle and warm up the same amount of time after starting it 5:45 am and leaving at 6am. Took me about 10 mins to make my lunch, spent the next five in the truck.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Not gonna argue with you... But I have to assume Ford's experiments didn't include a variable called "about 10 minutes to make lunch"...

It's there for the reason I stated, if you don't want it to do it's job, unplug it. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Oh trust me I believe it's there for a reason. Didn't mean to make it come off as your wrong or anything like that, just more stating I didn't see any noticeable difference with it operating and with disabled.

·
Powerstrokin'
847 Posts
Yea he was just giving "his opinion" on what he thought, don't think he was trying to say you were wrong, an if you can't really tell that there is a noticeable difference I don't think you need to use "scientific variables" to see exactly how much it helps out if you are wanting to delete it..

Some people like to delete the butterfly and rod though to help get a little less air restriction as the exhaust is leaving the turbo, and as stated it really isn't going to make much of a difference if you decide you want to gut, or just unplug it.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
Everybody is right here. It is there for a reason and it does do it's job. It's just a matter of opinion. Heck I just deleted mine because to me it was annoying. And it would come on while going down the road even after a 20 minute warmup. So out it came. Just my .02.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
I never noticed much difference at warm up but i did notice that after I drove to town and was parked on the street with it still idling the engine cooled off a lot faster because after 10 minutes of idling it would begin to blow a small haze of blue smoke, it did'nt do that when I had the ebpv hooked up. I think it helps maintain your engine temp more so than help with warm up.

·
Jimmy96psd
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what is it doing? Just opening the wastegate for a min. How does that help in warming up? And is there a benefit of unplugging it?

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
So what is it doing? Just opening the wastegate for a min. How does that help in warming up? And is there a benefit of unplugging it?
It's not a wastegate. It's a butterfly valve on the exhaust side of the turbo right before the downpipe that closes and puts restriction on exhaust flow to aid in warm-ups.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
OBS trucks (if stock) don't have a wastegate. Like rob said. The later model 7.3's in the superdutys have wastegates but have nothing to do with warmup.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
First thing I do on any 7.3L I have is unplug that stupid thing. I've run with it unplugged on the 00 about 5 years now & have it unplugged on the 97 as well. I deal with single digit & sub zero winters & have never had an issue with warm ups. I hate those things because they will keep closing on you even when the engine is warm & act like an exhaust brake. To open it back up requires you to floor it briefly, just a PITA. I also notice better mpg with it unplugged as well.

·
OBS Addict
1,538 Posts
First thing I do on any 7.3L I have is unplug that stupid thing. I've run with it unplugged on the 00 about 5 years now & have it unplugged on the 97 as well. I deal with single digit & sub zero winters & have never had an issue with warm ups. I hate those things because they will keep closing on you even when the engine is warm & act like an exhaust brake. To open it back up requires you to floor it briefly, just a PITA. I also notice better mpg with it unplugged as well.
See now when I had that problem I thought it was something electronically wrong for it to keep shutting even when warm. So why do they do that? I guttEd mine so it don't matter but I know it's not supposed to do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts