Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
In the last 3 years that I have sat out of drag racing a lot of development has been made in hardware and tuning, horsepower numbers have jumped but ET/mph drag racing numbers have failed to follow suit.
We can easily see that NOS has been a big factor in the numbers achieved thus far, but NOS takes out a lot of the innovation that we desperately need to further the development of parts and the ultimate goal horsepower.

So I present a challenge, Tuner Wars.

The challenge is fuel only, each entry builds a comparable vehicle in weight and the goal is to make as much power/quickest ET/MPH on fuel only.
Lets say for example that we start now and have a Tuner Wars shoot out say TS event 2011.

To makes things fair we can have entries for all 4 Ford offerings 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and the new 6.7.
We can have PSN sponsored trophy's for each class and an overall winner for top performance.

This is just an idea, but I think in the end we could all have fun and learn a few things at the same time.

Discuss.

PS - By Tuner Wars I mean a complete vehicle not a tuner in general.

**See page 5 of this thread if interested**

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I'm in if my junk is running....... Can we handicap by weight? I mean we can't all build a Snow White-weight truck:poke:

·
Metal - It kicks your ass
3,090 Posts
we desperately need to further the development of parts and the ultimate goal horsepower.
I thought the ultimate goal was torque. :blah:

Just kidding. But for real though, I think this is a great challenge. Im just curious to, How much further can you go with tuning?

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the ultimate goal was torque. :blah:

Just kidding. But for real though, I think this is a great challenge. Im just curious to, How much further can you go with tuning?
it is torque, but if I tell everyone that I won't have the advantage:poke:

actually I don't think tuning itself will get us much further than where we currently stand, but a combination of tuning, injectors, cam, head work still leave a lot on the table.
A good tuner has to understand how it all works together, a good engine builder has to know how injectors, tuning and turbos work best for his or her engine and a good injector builder has to know how tuning and engine/cam selection affect his or her injector building skills, and then of course they all have to work together to build the ultimate power combination.

What does this do for you the consumer???

in simple words you the consumer get the best of all worlds, a proven combination and the winner gets a guaranteed customer base.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
Hmm, I should have something for the 6.4 class by then. :D

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
Somebody please make this happen!!!!!:popcorn:

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
This sounds like a great idea...

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
The most fair and accurate way to do this is for the tuners to develope a tune for 1 persons truck that will be at "THE EVENT 2011" and have that person run all the tuners programs on that 1 truck. That way it takes out all the variables and "Your truck was lighter" or "You have secret NOS or something". Have a drawing or vote for someone that WILL be at that event. You would just need 1 truck of each engine generation.

1-OBS
1-7.3 SD
1-6.0
1-6.4
1-6.7

This is the only way to see whos tunes are the best. Same trucks, different tuners...:tree:

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
The most fair and accurate way to do this is for the tuners to develope a tune for 1 persons truck that will be at "THE EVENT 2011" and have that person run all the tuners programs on that 1 truck. That way it takes out all the variables and "Your truck was lighter" or "You have secret NOS or something". Have a drawing or vote for someone that WILL be at that event. You would just need 1 truck of each engine generation.

1-OBS
1-7.3 SD
1-6.0
1-6.4
1-6.7

This is the only way to see whos tunes are the best. Same trucks, different tuners...:tree:
I think thats the best idea.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

1-OBS
1-7.3 SD
1-6.0
1-6.4
1-6.7

This is about building the complete combo..... not just who can tune. I like this idea, but not everyone can build an extremely light truck either. I figured the drag race would be about who can run the most MPH handicapped by weight.
Also does this need to be streetable? What about having a points system, kind of like our own little Diesel Power Challenge. I think drivability is a huge thing and an 80mm turbo isn't something most will put up with on the street. To me a customer would rather have a 11 second truck that they can drive every day vs a dedicated strip machine that is a dog to drive around town.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

1-OBS
1-7.3 SD
1-6.0
1-6.4
1-6.7

again this is not about a particular tuner rather a combination. I'm sure there are enough regular cab entries in all engines that we can come to an agreeable weight. I PREDICT MOST WILL BE 4X4 ENTRIES AND A FEW 2 WHEEL DRIVE ENTRIES. Now while the 4x4 guys have the traction advantages the 2 wheel drive guys have the HP advantage. If we have enough entries we can do a 4x4 and a 2x4, either way quickest ET/fastest MPH wins.
Um, no wouldn't even attempt it because I would never recommend a customer try that....LOL To keep the 1200 ft/lb limit, that's way more RPM than even pixie dust can produce IMO.
Well then that answers your question, trying to make power with a stock bottom end is pointless unless we have 2 classes, stock bottom end or all out. I'm not much for 2nd place but I do see your point.
Let's see how this pans out and then make our rules of competition.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know but there are still going to be too many variables (read cheating)... It was just a thought.
that can be easily remedied by having each entry teched by the other entries.
just think about your rep if you are caught cheating:doh:

Basically anything goes fuel only and a given weight.
I think 6400lbs is an achievable weight for 4x4 while 2x4 can weigh up.

We need to talk about water injection as well (event provided)

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Damn. When I first saw the title I thought you were gonna let Tony tune your #### and make it faster. Oh well.
I just wish Tony had time to fix a few things on my chip. :poke:

1 - 20 of 157 Posts