Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know there is a ton of info/threads on this, but still not quite sure which one I should go with:confused:. I do currently have the TSPerfomance digital guages/monitor. I like this setup but want more for guages as it does not have trans *. I'm thinking sell the monitor and go Livewire, or just go X3 and buy mechanical trans.....I guess what I'm asking is, guages aside, what are the advantages/disadvantages of the Livewire or X3 and which one should I go with....any comments/advice appreciated

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess what I should have asked is: Is there any real world advantage to having one over the other?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
i have the edge insight and sct x3. alot easier than hooking up all the mechanical guages and all you have to do is drill and tap the exhaust manifold and plug it in. alot of cool features with it to. Adam gave me a good deal to.

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So then, does anybody know where the Insight gets its trans temp reading from....beings as our dash guage(which uses OEM internal sensor) couldn't be any more inaccurate what sensor does the insight use that would make it more accurate?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So then, does anybody know where the Insight gets its trans temp reading from....beings as our dash guage(which uses OEM internal sensor) couldn't be any more inaccurate what sensor does the insight use that would make it more accurate?
mine always says its in the normal operating range. bout 100 to 110 degrees over ambient temp.

·
bigger than texas
83 Posts
Were on the same fence bud, I think I might just go with X3, and the insight sounds appealing too, more of a question for abrennan, how does the live wire get installed, by the looks of things its just plugging into the ODB port? Any info would be great!

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine always says its in the normal operating range. bout 100 to 110 degrees over ambient temp.
Yeah pretty much all of them state its in that range, the difference is when towing/pulling or anything like that, that works the trans the OEM guage stays put, and then when the trans reaches temps that are dangerous, the guage will not let you know that until its too late...trust me, I'vehad to wait this long for a tuner cause my trans went in a hot way...didn't know it until too late and my OEM guage never really showed too hot until the damage was beyond done. Thats also why I'm doing a trans temp gauge now w/tuner...you should see the difference between OEM guage and a real guage.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
The Trans Temp on the dash isn't very accurate. The reading from the Insight I think is coming from the valve body.

Were on the same fence bud, I think I might just go with X3, and the insight sounds appealing too, more of a question for abrennan, how does the live wire get installed, by the looks of things its just plugging into the ODB port? Any info would be great!

The Livewire uses the OBDII port aswell and it gets its power an reading from there. It will come with a suction cup mounting attachment for your windshield.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Yeah pretty much all of them state its in that range, the difference is when towing/pulling or anything like that, that works the trans the OEM guage stays put, and then when the trans reaches temps that are dangerous, the guage will not let you know that until its too late...trust me, I'vehad to wait this long for a tuner cause my trans went in a hot way...didn't know it until too late and my OEM guage never really showed too hot until the damage was beyond done. Thats also why I'm doing a trans temp gauge now w/tuner...you should see the difference between OEM guage and a real guage.
yep, that's very true, that gauge wont tell you anything until its too late. The insight is precise, it will show you way before that gauge in the dash will ever budge.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Like Adam said, it actually gives you a number not just a peg and some red at the top. mine would show it getting hotter when i was towing. i think its pretty acurate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My Insight will read almost 140* on engine temp before the gauge in the dash will even start to climb, my normal operating temp is 180* so I'm pretty confident in the Insights accuracy. I haven't payed too close attention to the tranny temp yet just because I don't tow very often :ford:

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, so far, so good...but I just heard something that I'm not too fond of...I was told the Insight must have it's own egt probe, that I can't use the one I currently have installed, and that its most likely a different tapped thread than what I already have........true or false????

·
Beer Hauler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:mad:
the pyro probes are different, threads will be the same, plugs are different, that's all.
:mad:
Now why'd they have to go and do that...so that puts me at $934.00 for tuner and another set of guages, which would be fine if I didn't already have guages that work perfectly, I was willing to change things up just for the sake of change, but I think that may be money foolishly spent:doh:...I thinking I should just do the X3 and add a single pod trans temp guage.
Thank you everyone for your input,it was time well spent and very much appreciated:ford:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts