Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to install a tune on my 08 f250 6.4l, what is the best and safest? ive heard alot of good about the spartan and the h s blackmaxx. also what should be done with the tuner to be safe and not tear up the turbos and engine??

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
depending on your goals for your truck, i recomend eric @ innovative diesel's tuning, the shifting is really good, and the power is awesome, the spartan and the blackmaxx are both good choices too, but bang for the buck has to go to Innovatives tuning.

Check this thread out, might be helpful to you
Official 6.4 tuner thread, read first post!!! - Powerstroke Nation

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do not want anything crazy just want a little more pep its got a 10" fabtech lift with 40" toyos. i got smoked by a 04 with a 6.0 the other day and i also tow a couple of harleys and off road quite a bit. what do u think about the dpf delete?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
I would do a dpf delete, and probably just run some conservative tuning like the street tune from eric, or the 210 from spartan, the blackmaxx might be good for you because you can shift on the fly for the tuning. if you do decide to do a dpf delete just remember you should probably put it back on anytime you go to the dealer, thats just my opinion. Im sure some of the vendors will chime in with some more info for you.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
DPF delete and Black Maxx gets my vote. Shift on teh fly tuning, so you can run the lower mild settings to keep engine and drivetrain happy and just turn it up to the higher horsepower levels at the push of a button when the need arises.

I have been nothing but impressed with my Black Maxx

·
Registered
429 Posts
I vote Eric as well!!! I loaded he's extreme street tune for the first time on thursday, i love it!! Lot's of power, good mileage on the highway, and very drivable for everyday!!! I like black smoke too!!! :evil

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
I also have an SCT with eric's tunes on it and I have never ran anything better. in the 7 powerstrokes I have owned. I did a full 4" down pipe with the delete kit all the way back, and a S&B cold air box. and a cold side pipe. I'm getting around 18 MPG. stock it was 11.4 need I say more?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
All of them are great tuners. Spartan has been around the longest of course, but Eric knows his stuff and has his tunes dialed in nicely. The Black Maxx from H&S Performance is also a nice piece. It allows you to changes tunes on the fly. All of them seem to have the transmission tuning down very well. The SCT is the only one that will allow you to change tire size. I don't think the Black Maxx feature for tire size adjustment works yet. Let me know if you have any questions. I am here to help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The deciding factor for me was the ability to live tune it myself if I bought the software from SCT, but don't think others care much for that feater. I would've ended up wit it anyways since I like wireless touchscreen :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
You cant go wrong with Spartan. You are going to pay more for it, but when you get it installed and go for a drive, you will know why.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Did H&S get there higher tunes out yet to try and keep up with the spartin or erics

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok just bought the sct wireless touchscreen programmer and the extreme tunes from inovative diesel, also an afe stage 2 air intake. Now here is the big question i need all ur help with!! Can i still install those items and leave the dpf alone without screwing something up or do i need to get the afe dpf back exhaust or do i need to run the dpf delete on the programmer and get rid of the cat/dpf??? Please help

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
you have to do the dpf delete at least but its recommended that you do the dpf and doc. If you dont it will plug up quik and wont be able to regen cause the tuner will tell it not to

1 - 20 of 25 Posts