Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Spartan 310 tune, down pipe, 5" exhaust and afe intake installed today. All I can say is WOW!! Its like getting a new truck all over again. I do have a few questions. I took it around the block and did the trans learn. I was almost back home and took off one last time hard and the truck stumbled between 2nd and 3rd gear. Wrench came up and the dash daq had a message about transmission friction failed. I did not wright the message down because I thought I would remember it to type it here.. Should have known better. Does any one know what this could have been? It was probably my fourth takeoff after installing the tune. I reset the codes and drove it around a few miles being easy and everything shifts fine. Next question, I used a pre loaded theme that matches the factory gauges. It monitors the EGRTA and the alarm is set at 1600. Every time I would get on it hard it would reach that and an alarm would sound. I am still new to diesels so I am not sure what this is or what it should be. Any help on either one of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

·
I'm learning
194 Posts
I don't have spartan but the shift flare is pretty normal on these trannys or so I'm told. Mine will do the same sometimes if I don't let the tranny relearn long enough, when I load my tune I usually do 3 runs in 4hi after I have drove it around a little because I don't have traction bars on yet. If you are lifted you will probably want traction bars too, but I have put 20,000 miles on mine tuned without bars, I have some pmf's on the way, so for now I have to watch the 2wd launches. Mine scared the crap out of me the first time it threw the wrench too.
As far as egt's mine has been over 1600 a few times but usually means my filter is dirty or it could be because the filter is just been freshly oiled, or over oiled. I made 7 or 8 1/4 mile passes last weekend and never got over 1570, but I cleaned and lightly oiled the filter before the race. I have read about people running up to 1800 degrees but I try to keep mine under 1600, but that's just my 2 cents. Good luck you are gonna really love that truck tuned!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I too got the wrench when doing a tranny relearn with the 275.. Freaked me out, never had that happened to me before with the older tunes..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Joshua pm 08stroker250. He's very knowledgeable and he can probably help you out. I've never had that happen on my 310. I have had my tranny de fuel on my 275 but the 310 won't do that based off trans slip. I would suggest reloading the tune first and driving a little more. I've heard it takes somewhere of about 500 miles for the tranny to actually relearn compleatly

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Drive time is your friend with the tranny relearns. First few wot passes my tranny didn't like the new 310 tune at all. Did a few last night and shifts were pretty firm and positive.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The wrench! Not good however you want to slice it. Tune not coded as well as it could be is my guess.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yea, I never had the wrench come on before.. Guess ill drive ms daisy for a while.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got my Spartan 310 tune, down pipe, 5" exhaust and afe intake installed today. All I can say is WOW!! Its like getting a new truck all over again. I do have a few questions. I took it around the block and did the trans learn. I was almost back home and took off one last time hard and the truck stumbled between 2nd and 3rd gear. Wrench came up and the dash daq had a message about transmission friction failed. I did not wright the message down because I thought I would remember it to type it here.. Should have known better. Does any one know what this could have been? It was probably my fourth takeoff after installing the tune. I reset the codes and drove it around a few miles being easy and everything shifts fine. Next question, I used a pre loaded theme that matches the factory gauges. It monitors the EGRTA and the alarm is set at 1600. Every time I would get on it hard it would reach that and an alarm would sound. I am still new to diesels so I am not sure what this is or what it should be. Any help on either one of these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Here are the parameter settings recommended:
DashDAQ Parameter Settings
Important DashDAQ Gauge Warnings

EGRTA – Pre Turbo EGT's
High Limit - 2,000
High Warning - 1,600

EOT – Engine Oil Temp
High Limit - 250
High Warning - 220

ECT – Engine Coolant Temp
High Limit - 240
High Warning - 215

FRP – Fuel Rail Pressure
High Limit - 30,000 psi
High Warning - 27,500 psi

FRT – Fuel Rail Temp
High Limit - 200
High Warning - 140

TFT – Transmission Fluid Temp
High Limit - 240
High Warning - 215

MGP - Manifold Gauge Pressure (Boost)
High Limit - 55 psi
High Warning - 48 psi

EP - Exhaust Back Pressure (absolute) - Subtract barometric pressure from the number you see on the DashDAQ for this reading!
High Limit - 80 psi
High Warning - 75 psi

TCSLIP(RPM) - Torque Converter Slip - This only matters when the torque converter is locked. If the converter is unlocked, the reading will be extremely high. Therefore do not set an alarm for this!!
High Limit - 200 RPM
High Warning - 100 RPM

Also, running high hp tunes like the 310 with stock tranny and TCM is like pulling the pin on a grenade....only a matter of time. I would add half quart of tranny fluid to help with harsh shifts and drop to the 300 tune for DD if you have an easy right foot..... Just my .02 cents....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for this. I am not a mechanic, so if the answer to my question is to go to diesel mechanics school, that is fair. I guess my biggest question is, what are some of the issues these params indicate when falling outside of their limits/warnings?

I am very new to all of this. I just got my spartan tuner. I hooked it up, but only installed the 150-DPF-on tune since I haven't had time to do the exhaust yet.

EGRTA – Pre Turbo EGT's
High Limit - 2,000
High Warning - 1,600
Do higher EGT's indicate a breakdown in the EGR cooler? If the EGR is deleted, what are higher temps indicative of? Is there a post-turbo EGT we should be looking at?

EOT – Engine Oil Temp
High Limit - 250
High Warning - 220
A breakdown (clog/leak) in the oil cooler, I assume.

ECT – Engine Coolant Temp
High Limit - 240
High Warning - 215
Leaking coolant somewhere... anywhere along the coolant path?

FRP – Fuel Rail Pressure
High Limit - 30,000 psi
High Warning - 27,500 psi
Wow, that's some serious pressure. I saw 17,000 during my driving recently. I guess that will increase with the need for more fuel from higher tunes.

FRT – Fuel Rail Temp
High Limit - 200
High Warning - 140
I guess there is a fuel cooler in addition to oil, engine, and EGR cooler. Any and all should be monitored. Any one of them being low could indicated a breakdown in the system. Is this all one large coolant loop? I assume EOT and ECT are since people like to know if there is a difference in temps between the two.

TFT – Transmission Fluid Temp
High Limit - 240
High Warning - 215
Same with the other coolers. Is the tran cooler seperate?

MGP - Manifold Gauge Pressure (Boost)
High Limit - 55 psi
High Warning - 48 psi
Is this just something that we could break by pushing it too hard? During my normal driving now, I don't know that it's hit 40 much... maybe while towing up a hill. Isn't there something about turbo temps that is critical? Like "don't turn the truck off" critical? Is this something that can be monitored?

EP - Exhaust Back Pressure (absolute) - Subtract barometric pressure from the number you see on the DashDAQ for this reading!
High Limit - 80 psi
High Warning - 75 psi
This would seem like, what? A clogged exhaust system? Is this much of a factor with the a straight or race pipe (DPF/CAT deleted)?

TCSLIP(RPM) - Torque Converter Slip - This only matters when the torque converter is locked. If the converter is unlocked, the reading will be extremely high. Therefore do not set an alarm for this!!
High Limit - 200 RPM
High Warning - 100 RPM
Have no idea. I'm just thinking I understand some of this stuff. Then this gets thrown in :)

I appreciate any information... even if it is "you are an idiot. go to diesel tech school" :)

Thanks,
Chris

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Thanks for this. I am not a mechanic, so if the answer to my question is to go to diesel mechanics school, that is fair. I guess my biggest question is, what are some of the issues these params indicate when falling outside of their limits/warnings?

I am very new to all of this. I just got my spartan tuner. I hooked it up, but only installed the 150-DPF-on tune since I haven't had time to do the exhaust yet.

Do higher EGT's indicate a breakdown in the EGR cooler? If the EGR is deleted, what are higher temps indicative of? Is there a post-turbo EGT we should be looking at?

High egts are due to more fuel, not enough air. It can be as simple as a big tune, clogged air filter, etc. Everytime you add air to the same tune, your egts should get cooler. For example, adding an intake (reduce egts, adding a downpipe (reduce more) adding a larger intercooler pipe, etc..
A breakdown (clog/leak) in the oil cooler, I assume.

Could be from towing heavy, long hill pulls, etc..
Leaking coolant somewhere... anywhere along the coolant path?

Same thing as above, mainly towing. Loosing coolant isnt going to cause the coolant to really go up much
Wow, that's some serious pressure. I saw 17,000 during my driving recently. I guess that will increase with the need for more fuel from higher tunes.

You will be more concerned with loosing fuel rail pressure on the higher tunes, you usually wont see past 27k, maybe a fuel rail spike but thats about it.
I guess there is a fuel cooler in addition to oil, engine, and EGR cooler. Any and all should be monitored. Any one of them being low could indicated a breakdown in the system. Is this all one large coolant loop? I assume EOT and ECT are since people like to know if there is a difference in temps between the two.

Same with the other coolers. Is the tran cooler seperate?

Is this just something that we could break by pushing it too hard? During my normal driving now, I don't know that it's hit 40 much... maybe while towing up a hill. Isn't there something about turbo temps that is critical? Like "don't turn the truck off" critical? Is this something that can be monitored?

You could blow an intercooler boot off and cause loss of boost, or blow your gaskets sooner or later. The Exhaust backpressure and boost kind of go hand in hand
This would seem like, what? A clogged exhaust system? Is this much of a factor with the a straight or race pipe (DPF/CAT deleted)?

This is measured in the exhaust. Bigger downpipe and exhaust helps some, but it is more in the exhaust housing.
Have no idea. I'm just thinking I understand some of this stuff. Then this gets thrown in :)

I appreciate any information... even if it is "you are an idiot. go to diesel tech school" :)

Thanks,
Chris

The answers i gave you are very broad. You will just need to read and read on the forums the plentiful information

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can i run the 250 or 275 egr on tunes without throwing codes/wrench? All I have ever loaded and ran is the 210 EGR on and the 210 tow

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Can i run the 250 or 275 egr on tunes without throwing codes/wrench? All I have ever loaded and ran is the 210 EGR on and the 210 tow
Yes, you did do the latest update from spartan that clears the code the 250 tune was having problems with

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
There is no 275 EGR on tune. The 250 tune was fixed with the latest update.
I didnt want to confuse the guy, but the level 1 license is for tunes all the way up to 350 now and are for egr still intact to the vehicle, even though the higher level tunes disable the egr functions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I need to do the latest update bc the last time I tried the 250 the codecs me on. I'll give spartan a call later and get that rolling. I hear the 250 is better for mpg than the 210

1 - 15 of 15 Posts