Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I'm getting an interview next week for a position on the big OK. Working out of Tulsa and hoping I'll get an offer of employment since it would be a great job and nice pay raise. I'm a smart guy so I do my research about my "potential" new area of living.

I hope this doesn't get ugly but be honest about what I should know about Tulsa, OK.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is no news good news??

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I love Tulsa, have family there and visit often. I grew up 2 hours north in Newkirk, ok it's the "big city" not a lot of crime lots I nice areas to live. Not a lot of crime outside of down town. Couple of good private schools with good high school football programs( if you have high school boys ) public schools are good too. I myself wouldn't live in a big city but I like to visit! T town is way better than okc plus you have Stillwater with okie light close by for the college ball!

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I'm a empty nester with both kids gone so those concerns are done. I'm open to living "outside" of town since I prefer peace and quiet. I'll have to see what happens with the job offer, Interview went pretty good but I know I'm not the only person they are interviewing.

What's the hunting like around Tulsa??

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
We'll close by (within an hour) it's decent, get in on some private land and hunt the brushy draws and you'll find the big boys. I never hunted much more than 20 miles east of Stillwater but the general area holds big boys. You have to rember though it's Oklahoma and seems as though everyone in the state hunts so a lot of the public land close to Tulsa will be I've hunted. Where I'm from in Newkirk there's not a lot of people at all so the hunting is good for deer and pheasant. Check out the owasso area if your into the country side living close to tulsa

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!! Once I get a better hold on the place it could turn into a permanent living area. Owasso sounds good. For the drive even 45 minutes travel works for me.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Their beer has about half the alcohol content of other states, which is just unacceptable

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Their beer has about half the alcohol content of other states, which is just unacceptable
We'll we have about double the native Americans in the state as other states too!

Completely just kidding

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tulsa isn't bad but it wouldn't be my pick to live in OK. Edmond is my fav as is northern OK. Problem is there is not any industry in those areas to make a good living. Good luck on your interview buddy

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
any suburb of tulsa is ok, jenks, broken arrow, owasso, they are all growing like crazy over the past couple years.
I'd not live IN Tulsa, I have a buddy who lives there who can give you the where to stay away from info when your ready, but suburbs are almost all really nice areas

tulsa gets congested quite frequently, rush hour etc. almost feels like LA to me sometimes, lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Broken Arrow is nice!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's a saying Tulsa is the biggest small town in America.

You can get just about anywhere you need to be in 30-45 minutes, which is nice. If you're like me, you can usually get to where you need to go on a highway/interstate/turnpike and avoid city streets. There's traffic around rush hour but it's not too bad considering. Tulsa city streets are laid out on a north-south east-west grid with north-south streets named and east-west streets numbered. It's probably one of, if not the, easiest cities to navigate. Downtown Tulsa is a completely different story though...

Northeast Oklahoma is known as Green County and there are quite a few lakes if you like fishing/boating. The trees are starting to turn so we won't be green for much longer.

Fuel is pretty cheap compared to the rest of the country and I saw where Tulsa recently had the cheapest fuel nationwide.

My preference for living is rural, either north and/or east of Tulsa. There's the city of Tulsa and Tulsa County and I'd try to live outside of Tulsa County, either Rogers or Wagoner county. The recession didn't really affect Tulsa so there's lots of development, especially to the south (but much more traffic).

You can't go anywhere in the state without driving on a turnpike. PikePass is your friend. The roads in Oklahoma are, well, not great. Then there's the 3.2 beer...

When's your interview? If you're still in town perhaps we can meet up.

If there's anything else you want to know, just ask. I've lived in and around Tulsa for almost 30 years. Good luck with the interview!

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the support fellas!! Lucky for me it was on the phone so travel wasn't required. It's all in their hands now. I was told the hiring official decision would be made in a week so expect a 2 week delay before notice of the decision. It's all about career progression for me.

Whatever happens with the decision I'll post up and perhaps contact a few of you.

:psn::psn::psn::psn::psn:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Cheap diesel usually. Always dome of the cheapest in the ccountry. Toll way sucks. I pass through there quite often.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess who is heading to Tulsa next weekend!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congrats!!! So spill the beans on your new gig.

2005 F350 CCLB FX4

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Working for DOD as a Quality Assurance inspector. From what I have gathered it's based around mechanical and electrical components.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts