Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if that is the full brand/name, but the name of the chip I was given, right now the owner had it set on 100hp mode, and said that was the best setting for fuel economy, I am not sure because the only tune I have ever used was for a gas motor and it was a flash programmer.. anyone used these and know much about them?

·
Registered
853 Posts
the ts6 is one of the most widely used chip on diesel trucks. shouldn't have any problems I run on 100hp setting all day long on my truck

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
I run our Excursion on the 75hp setting and get about 18 mpg. For us that seems to be the most user friendly setting and the best balance between power and driveability. I tow on the 50hp setting. That's just what I do, but everyone else might have a different theory.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Chipping a diesel isn't really about mpgs is more about getting power without suffering fuel mileage anyone who buys a 7.3 for mpgs should do a little research before buying. I'm not saying they are horrible but I'm not saying they are a Prius either lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not buying the 7.3L for mpgs, but wondering if the settings on the chip effect mpgs that much, since I have never owned a chip just the flash programmers for a gas truck so chips are new to me, can you go through emissions with the TS installed?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
They shouldn't care about a chip for emissions. Emissions cares about mufflers and catalytic converters. Most chips have a stock setting on them. Or remove it when you go for emissions if it doesn't have a stock setting. The major difference between a chip and a programmer is the on-the-fly capability. You can change tunes just by turning the switch while driving with no adverse effects. You can get the same custom tunes for a programmer or chip but the difference is the on-the-fly ability.

·
Guilty on all counts
339 Posts
The TS gave us about 2 mpg better. 18 is also what I got in my 2006 Dodge 1500 before I sold it for my F350. I don't think 18mpg is terrible for a big SUV. I doubt I will ever own a Prius. Great for economy but bore me to tears!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I guess I kinda forget how chitty mpgs gassers get

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Here for the party....
787 Posts
I had a gasser '03 chevy silverady that got 21 mpg on the highway. It didn't matter if I wss going 60, or 80. Hook an open car trailer to it with my mustang on it..and it got 11mph..again, doing 60, or 80. It was nuts how that was just what it got..smooth highway, or head winds. I bought that thing brand new, and same results for 5 years..buddy of mine, had the same exact truck, but a '00, and his numbers were identical, towing a bass boat. Sold it, and bought my '02 crewcab short bed, leveled it, and put on 305/60/18's, 4" mbrp, 6637, ITP ported housing, and a 6 position with gearhead tunes..and got 11 mpg out of it towing my 24' enclosed car trailer with my car inside. I thought...well, that's not worth a damn..but I had to remember..my '03 with open car trailer, and car was 11k lbs..my ccsb with my enclosed and car was 16k lbs and some change..the trailer was 9' tall, and I was able to dragit 80+ mph without it trying to downshift on every small hill, or in bad headwinds. When I put it into perspective..I was more than happy. I even got 13.66mpg hand calculated on a trip from new mexico back to texasrunning 72 mph (truck actually got best mpg running at 2100 rpm).

My current regular cab 2wd gets 22 on the highway, 18.7 mixed driving..hand calculated, consistently. Truck is bone stock, on 265/75/16 michelin ltx's. Modifying it will NOT get me better mpg..a chip, etc will not get you better fuel mileage. Overall condition of the truck, running the proper tire pressure, driving habits, etc..is where your mileage will come from.

FWIW...I'm not saying don't mod it, because I think stock anything..sucks. My truck will eventually get pis injectors, and a brute 66, but I surely am not going to do it for increased mpg, I fully expect mpg to go down, and as long as it runs like I think it should..I'm perfectly ok with that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts