Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys for those of you that have a true trac in the rear got a few questions. I for one am tired of the open diff in this snow so I just ordered one from summit. A few questions though. For one, what fluid did you guys choose? The website says anything that is non synthetic. Also what else needs to be replaced while in there? The shop that is gonna do it said just the carrier bearing I believe? Wanna make sure I got all my bases covered before I go through with it. Thanks!

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
How many miles on the rear? I would have ordered a master install kit with all new bearings and seals, with the shim kit that way its all rebuilt and no worries as long as the shop your going to has a good standing with rebuilding diffs as you have to have the proper tools and knowledge to do it properly or it will grenade going down the road. If its a regular diff shop then they should have all thats needed right there or be able to get it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea they are a driveline shop. My truck has 135k on it, they said it should be fine. I ordered the true trac and the ring gear bolts, the shop said they will get the bearing for me. Would you recommend running 85-140w oil?

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
It should be 2 bearings and races. I always change both carrier bearings and races at the same time as there cheap and easy to do since the carrier is out already. Id also have them change out the pinion bearing and pinion seal unless there just dropping the carrier out and slappin the new one in not worrying about backlash but most of the time backlash and gear mesh will both have to be reset with a carrier change so its good insurance just to put new pinion bearings and the seal in as then youll be basically all rebuilt for about $100 bucks more in parts. Id run 75-140w and im curious why cant ya run synethic fluid?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Ya if there doing the carrier bearings hell just do the pinion ones and the seal then your rebuilt again. ill have to read up on that non synethic as its interesting. I found a tru-trac for 550 brand new but not sure if its worth it or any cheaper then buying one at the store as I havent priced them. My stocker works fine but the clutches are known to go out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got mine on summit for 560 free shipping and the ring gear bolt set was 20. Not a bad deal. Im excited to see her perform, one tire fire sucks trying to pull other trucks out of ditches lol

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
while it is apart replace the crush sleeve with an eliminator kit

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
haha ya open diffs blow unless ya just run pavement. My factory limited slip works good still at 195,000 miles but its prob getting wore pretty good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Trutrac is the way the way to go for sure. My brother has one in his truck which is the exact same as the one in my sig (besides his 38R and 175's). He mashed on it leaving my house the other day from 10 mph and it lit em both up for 50 ft on dry pavement. If I even think of spooling mine up in 2wd the right rear starts hating life back there with my factory LS diff at 101k miles. Do a full rebuild and it will last you a long time if installed properly.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. Gonna get her all takes care of. Excited to have her hook up!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Thats a good price for a good kit there. The only thing I see missing are new ring gear bolts but you can get them seperate.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got them from summit so if they are not in the kit I will have them! Just waiting on kit now and I will get it installed!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it installed about a month ago. I have not been on to update. So far very happy. Times where I would need 4wd it was not necessary. I am glad I did it

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have about 140K on mine so far and still going. Works just like the day I installed it, smooth and quiet. You would never even know its there. Unless they have changed there oil spec. The paper work that came with mine said to use OEM rated oil with out the anit shudder additive. I am using Red Line 75w140 NL. At the time it was the only one availble to meet Ford specs without the clutch additive.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in mine. Yes, I remember eaton saying to use dino, but when I had asked, nobody could really come up with a reason why synthetic would be a bad thing. I have had synthetic in mine for about 45k. I like my true trac a lot. It simply works.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Great post with great replies. THis is my next mod so im researching as well. Keep the info coming .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts