Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trucks been puking, and its down on coolant. Obviously. ECTS and EOTs haven't changed a bit, coolants usually 190 on the nose and oils usually 194. They next differ by more than 6 degrees, usually runs 4* different, most I ever saw was 8* one time. As far as I can tell there is no coolant in the oil and no white smoke out the exhaust. I've been running the mild tune on my mini lately. When i first got it i ran the Hot Damn most of the time. I first had it set to no power until 120* coolant temp, changed that to 180* now. It doesn't seem to me that i lifted the heads, when you put it on Hot Damn and jump on it real hard the coolant temp never spikes, it stays steady at 190* maybe goes to 192*. De-fuels are set pretty low. No power until 180* coolant. Oils at like 210* and coolants at like 200*, pyros 1350 and boost is 38 lbs and its never been over 45lbs. I've never seen EOT over 198 and never seen ECT over 196.

EGR is stock. Maybe the coolers are bad? (Delete them) Maybe the radiators junk. Im going to call the dealer monday, my buddies the diesel tech there so hopefully he can help me out without having to return to stock. They are pretty mod friendly. They install tuners and deletes themselves.

Thanks for the help guys,
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A couple times at part throttle when im gettin on it to pass someone or something its hazed up pretty good (when it normally wouldn't). I couldn't tell for sure but the smoke looked a little white. Its only done it at night a couple times when its been cold outside (air temp), truck was fully warmed up.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Blew your head gasket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing for about 4,000 miles, ended up pulling the cab and found that #1 & #7 was leaking by, on #7 you could really see it well and on #1 looked like it just started good luck with the dealer, I paid out my pocket for mine as the dealer wasn't comfortable asking for warranty from ford due to having Spartan installed, ok with me as I believe in you play you pay, that's just me though. Mine started at about 12,000 miles puking and all I run is the 210/250 tunes.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Haha sorry mang. Go out buy new oem head gaskets and get arp headstuds. Lift the cab and mill your heads so there flat. Then replace with new gaskets and arp head studs. Oh also I would delete your egr cooler while your in there. Good luck man!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opinions guys. Obviously HG is the last thing i want to do. haha. Im just wondering how you guys can narrow it down to HG when the symptoms could be so many other things. Like no coolant in the oil at all, no fluctuation in temps at all.

When it was stock in the winter it would pump out some serious white smoke during regen once in a while. One dealer said it was normal. I never bought that. I had an EGR temp sensor replaced once also. It would lose all power when the sensor stopped working. (I'm not having any noticeable loss of power)

Im just wondering why its HGs, not a bad EGR coolers or radiator or Degas bottle/cap. Not that it matters, since its going back to stock to go to the dealer. He told me when i got my truck he would help me out if i tuned it and had problems. I understand you gotta pay to play, but sometimes if you can play and not pay... Why not right?

·
401 Posts
Pushing coolant out the cap is caused by only 2 things, Bad cap seal or too much pressure in the cooling system.
Over Pressure in the cooling system is caused by two things.
Getting the cooling system above the boiling point or bad head gaskets.
Since you are not getting the truck to overheat the only other thing is head gaskets.
EGR coolers that fail can put coolant and or steam out the tail pipe.
Bad head gaskets on these trucks pressure the cooling system, not the pressure of the cooling system into the oil system, unless they are really bad I could see it.
Just think about it, a little leak in a gasket with 30+ psi of boost with the compression these trucks have is a lot of pressure to hold. Wit just a little leak can cause a bunch of pressure into the cooling system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Makes sense. Maybe I just didn't notice it because after the initial fun of the tuner I tuned it back down and drove pretty normal. Back to stock it goes, top the reservoir off and drive it for a few days easy and take it in to the dealer. Gonna order some ARPs I guess. I can't see paying for H-11s as I'll most likely never have more than a tuner on the truck.

Thanks guys

·
401 Posts
The ARP's are fine. The big plus about the H-11's is the ability to use them multiple times.
But if you dont plan on opening it up again I dont see the point other than the torque spec of the H-11's is less than the ARP's if I remember right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do the H11s install the same as the ARPs? They are on sale from elite right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Truck is doing the same thing. I have a full egr delete, intake elbow,blow off valve(awesome) an intake,exhaust, cold side pipe, and last but not least, a spartan tuner. I only have the tunes up to 275, but since I did the egr delete, it only takes me to 250hp tune. I am assuming that I need head gaskets as well????? I am puking about the same, dont really ever get on the throttle. When I do, it is to do a quick ,set you back in the seat pass, and then I get off the throttle. I get home, and I have coolant dripping down the inside of my wheel well(drivers side)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they do. The only difference is the material they are made of.

Cool, they are 125$ off and then 10% on top of that. Will be ordering them tonight. They have 10% off on anything they have. Thinking of a set of chromoly pushrods also. Worth it?

·
401 Posts
If I was going to do head gaskets I would do push rods also, among a few other things that cost a little more money.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What else besides pushrods??

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Valvetrain upgrade wouldnt hurt. Egr Delete

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Planning on ordering the egr delete, intake elbow and intercooler pipe from Performance machine and mfg. Is the Stage one valvetrain upgrade from Elite worth the $575? I already know the answer. I'm planning on keeping this truck for a long time and if the dealer is going to tear it apart for me then i may as well do everything I can. Cheap insurance for the long run.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts