Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
#2 diesel only
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trucks symptoms:
Only at a idle will it just die. I was driving, came to a stop and it died, started it up and was talkin to my friend, in park, and it just died. Its done this four times now, all at idle.
I believe the camshaft postion sensor has been fixed, but i personally have not. It was owned by the city of southlake, TX. So maintenence has been kept to a key.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Cps do fail. You can't just fix them. I'm not sure thats your problem but It's possible. Have you checked your fuel pressure at idle?

·
#2 diesel only
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there is a recall. So fix was a lack of better words. I believe that the recall has been fixed. No, I have no way or knowledge of how to check it.
It idles perfectly fine.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Two things to check. First and foremost is the CPS. depending on whether or not it was replaced with an International or Ford part or part store special is the determining factor. If it was the part store special replace it with one from Ford or International. They are cheap enough. The other thing to look at is the IVS(idle validation switch) on the throttle pedal assembly. They can and do go bad which could cause your problem. Is the engine light coming on before it stalls out? You should get it hooked up to a quality scan tool(snap-on, auto enginuity, etc) and have the codes read. This could help in diagnosing what is causing it to shut off.

·
#2 diesel only
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thereis no DTC or engine light that comes one.
Is there a way to check if the sensors are 100%?

·
Registered
186 Posts
IPR o-rings could be bad. Does this happen when the truck is at operating temperature? When the oil is thin, it can bypass the o-rings in the IPR causing your truck to stall.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yep sure can test the sensors so to speak. You have to put it on a scan tool that is capable of reading your truck. No the scanner at Advance, Autozone, O'rielly's, NAPA, etc, etc. won't work. You need a Snap-on, Auto Enginuity, or other high end scanner to read our trucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts