Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Powerstroke F250 with 90,215 miles on it. I seldom use it. I tried to start it Friday and it would not crank, nothing, not even with either.The temp was in the 40s. I finally gave up and there she sets. The only thing ever done to the engine was a new water pump, hoses and serpentine belt this past July. The truck had not been cranked in about 6 weeks. Last winter it got hard to start so I pluged in the block heater and it did fine. I don't know anything about these trucks, or where to start. My daily driver is an Isuzu diesel. I know them inside and out and all in between. After 14 years the Ford probably needs glow plugs, and relays. The guys I drink coffee with every morning said the valve cover gasket wiring might be bad. I don't have a manual for this truck. I thought I was buying one and it was a disc for the computer, and I'm a computer dummie. Is there a place on the site with instructions and testing info and pictures or drawings. If you guys can tell me where to start I will be very thankful. Thanks guys Ron in Miss.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been jumping around the site reading what I can and I read the computer controls the glow plug light on the dash. My light on the dash would not come on. Does that mean I need a new computer and that is why it won't start?

·
Registered
164 Posts
might try jumping it off or charging the batterys, when they fall below a certain voltage the pcm wont fire the injectors but it spin and spin without firing. BTDT

its a cheap shot but might be worth a try before you buy anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns over, heck it spins like a top. The batteries are only 2 years old and hot. I have a half tank of fuel. Is ther some way it could not be getting fuel?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It turns over, heck it spins like a top. The batteries are only 2 years old and hot. I have a half tank of fuel. Is ther some way it could not be getting fuel?I made a mistake I said it won't crank I should have said it won't start.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'd try jumping it or charging first, i couldn't believe it either when it happened to me.

Maybe the dealer for the PCM.

·
Paul
160 Posts
If you are not getting a Wait To Start light. Check all the fuses. A bad fuel heater will blow the fuse that runs the PCM and the truck will not start.
If that fuse is blown, unplug the fuel heater on the back of the fuel filter bowl, replace the fuse and try again. You can leave the fuel heater unplugged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't know it had a fuel heater. You say it is on the back of the fuel filter housing. A couple years ago I took the fuel filter housing completely off and put all new fuel lines on the engine. They were leaking fuel right at the hose clamps. A garage told me I needed a new fuel pump cost $349. I said it will have to wait. I went home and was going to try it myself. But just to be sure I wiped everything dry and started the engine and there it was a hose leak. Scratch that shop off my list. Things like that is why I am on this site trying to fix it myself, everyone want to rip you off. I don't remember what all I disconnected. Will I have to pull the housing out to get to the fuel heater? Thanks Ron

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
If you are not getting a Wait To Start light. Check all the fuses. A bad fuel heater will blow the fuse that runs the PCM and the truck will not start.
If that fuse is blown, unplug the fuel heater on the back of the fuel filter bowl, replace the fuse and try again. You can leave the fuel heater unplugged.
This is fuse #30 I believe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm 66 and I had a hard time reading the writing on the fuse cover, but I thought it was no. 13. I checked that one and it was good. I will try again tomorrow.

·
7.3 fan
271 Posts
dont use ETHER on a motor with GLOW PLUGS can have a head launching experience......
check your batteries!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Southeast of ST Louis? Would that be close to Pinckneyville Ill.? My dad was from there and I have one aunt and lots of cousins there. That either is real hard on Powerstroke and Isuzu diesel also.

·
Paul
160 Posts
You don't have to pull the housing. There is a plug with two wires on the back side near the bottom. Was the fuse blown?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK guys now for an update. I just got done checking fuses. Firsr thing I was doing wrong I was looking for a bad fuse in the panel under the dash in the cab. , wrong place! I found out about the fuses under the hood by paying $11.99 for an online shop manual. That is about all it was good for. I started pulling and testing fuses.I did the first row of fuses closest to the radiator, all good. Then I started on the middle row, the 3rd row looks like all relays. The first fuse I pulled out on the inside toward the valve cover was burnt into. No need for the ohm meter it was visible. The others were OK. Next I took the fancy plastic cover off the top of the engine and looked for the wires going into the fuel filter. I would have a hard time reaching under the filter housing to unplug the black wire going down there, but it comes up to the left passenger side of the filter housing and has a plug there. I unpluged it up there I hope that is OK. I am headed to NAPA for a couple 30 amp fuses. Now if it starts does that mean the fuel heater was bad. If it starts and later burns the fuse out that would mean it is something else. Thanks a million for the help. I will keep you guys up on what happens next. Good luck Ron

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Yes, a lot of people are running around without a fuel bowl heater even in cold climates.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the truck stii failed to start. I unpluged the fuel heater up on the left side of the housing, left while leaning over the radiator, not the black wire that goes to the bottom of the fuel filter housing. The black wire goes up to that plug. Does anyone know if maybe this also unplugs something else? I am going to plug it back in and see what happens. I am also going to take the fuel filter out and spin the engine over and see if the mechanical fuel pump is pumping fuel into the filter.For me that is easier than disconnecting a line on the fuel pump. Will keep you guys informed. Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't plugged it back in yet, been looking at a wiring daiagram posted by "speeddemon" for a 97 F350, should be the same. Coming out of the fuel heater is a "redltgrn", I guess that means red and light green. It goes to a tee in the line ( I'm a pipefitter not an electrician) It goes one way to the fuse box, fuse #22, 30 amp the other side of the tee goes to a glow plug relay. That tee on paper might be that plug up on side of the fuel filter housing and I might have unpluged the glow plug relay. If so then I will have to unplug the fuel heater down under the housing. And stick the other plug back togeather. Am I right? I am going to plug the block heater in and get it nice and warm before I try to start it. Thanks Guys

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I have only heard of people unplugging the fuel bowl heater at the fuel bowl so I think I would try that like you said.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts