Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Ok, I need some quick help. The truck died on me at work today and won't restart. I had it behind a house we were working on and drove it back out infront of the house and parked it and when I went back a couple hours later to leave, it wouldn't start. No crank, no nothing. Because of the no crank it immediately made me think starter. I opened the valve on the fuel bowl and fuel poured out so it is getting fuel, so I arc'd the starter solenoid and it spun, so it's getting power. The batteries have lots of juice too.

Any ideas? I need to get it fixed ASAP in the morning because it's illegally parked in a residential area, so any advice helps. I'm fairly set on a starter but I wanted to see what you all thought.

Thanks in advance.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas? I need to buy a starter in the morning if that is the problem but I didn't wanna buy it if anyone had any more probable problems. Nobody's had this problem?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Pull the starter and have it tested.

·
Registered
842 Posts
solinoid on the fender well

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
check your relays. are you getting a wts light?

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I went back today but its still not starting. I voltmeter'd the fender wall solenoid and I was getting 12.3 V and it didnt change much whether I had the key off, key on or in cranking position. Sound normal?

I tried arching the starter solenoid with a screwdriver again with the key in crank position and we could get the starter to spin but the truck wouldn't crank, as if it wasn't engaging. I was in the middle of taking the starter out to get it tested but I didn't have a small enough ratchet to get at the top bolt. We got hit with a huge blizzard today so I was laying under the truck in 8 inches of soaking wet snow. I'm gonna get the right tool and go back either tonight or tomorrow and get the starter off.

Does this sound like the starter? Or should I be focusing more on that neutral safety switch or something else? Thanks for the help.

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I'm getting a WTS light, were you thinking the PCM relay?

Everything is perfectly normal except when I go to crank it, there is just the solenoid click and then nothing. Dead silent.

·
Registered
842 Posts
sounding like a starter but I honestly change starter and solinoid each time i change a starter....

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounding like a starter but I honestly change starter and solinoid each time i change a starter....
Do you mean the solinoid on the starter or the one on the fender well? A new starter comes with the solinoid on it does it not?

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, what's the difference between the 2-bolt starter and the 3-bolt starter?

·
Registered
842 Posts
correct I replace the starter assembly with solinoid as well as the fender solinoid the differance between the 2 bolt and the 3 bolt is just that either 2 or 3 bolts i don't remember the other differances iirc there is none just the nose section

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
when you say spin do you mean that the starter spins but the engine will not rotate or the starter spins and the engine rotates (the belt is turning)? If the the starter spins and the engine spins, belt will rotate, your starter is good and the solinoid on the fender is bad. If it spins and the engine will not rotate the starter is bad, probably just the bendix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok One more time. You can turn the key to the start position and nothing happens? Is it that or you can hear the starter hum but the engine does not roll?

It would be strange to have both issues at the same time. if you turning the key to start with nothing that is one issue. If you go to start and the starter motor hums/rotates but does not roll the engine that is another issue. be sure yo are arcing the solinoid and not just the starter motor lead. You should go from the large battery lead to the small post on the noid. If you were jumping both large post you were not engaging the noid and it would seem as if the starter drive(Bendix) was bad. Need more details

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you go to start and the starter motor hums/rotates but does not roll the engine that is another issue
Nothing happens at all when I go to start it. No hums, no rolls, nothing. The starter doesnt make any noise at all. I'll try to arc it again today and make sure I do it right. I'm pretty sure I did but it never hurts to try again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
While you are playing with itLOL, turn and hold the key in the start position and pull the gear shift from park down through 1st. If the trans switch is bad in the park position it may let you start it in neutral.

Also if you have a person to help remove the small wire from the starter and use a test light to see if it energizes when the key is in start.

·
throttle jockey
121 Posts
Does your dash lights (radio wts light etc) come on like normal? If so, check clutch position sensor/transmission sensor depending on your trans and check the relay/relay connections

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I hope everyone is ready for a good laugh.

I went to couple different place this morning to get the starter tested and nobody would test it because they said the test isn't very conclusive, they said them putting power to it is the same as me arc'ing it :blah:

I really needed to get the truck running again so I decided to just buy a new starter and fender solenoid. Install goes fine, and I try it. Exact same. Nothing.

So by this point, I'm pretty frustrated. I was just sitting in the truck, and the shifter was in Park. I just decided to move it to Drive and back up. Started first crank. I have no idea why...don't know whether it wasn't fully engaged in Park before or what...but it started.

So that was a great $250 mistake. Stupidest I've felt in quite some time haha.

Insert laughter and demeaning comments here.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, I hope everyone is ready for a good laugh.

I went to couple different place this morning to get the starter tested and nobody would test it because they said the test isn't very conclusive, they said them putting power to it is the same as me arc'ing it :blah:

I really needed to get the truck running again so I decided to just buy a new starter and fender solenoid. Install goes fine, and I try it. Exact same. Nothing.

So by this point, I'm pretty frustrated. I was just sitting in the truck, and the shifter was in Park. I just decided to move it to Drive and back up. Started first crank. I have no idea why...don't know whether it wasn't fully engaged in Park before or what...but it started.

So that was a great $250 mistake. Stupidest I've felt in quite some time haha.

Insert laughter and demeaning comments here.
hmmmm for some reason i thought i read you tried that first

·
The Ontaribertan.
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmmmm for some reason i thought i read you tried that first
Nope. But I sure wish I had of. The needle on the shifter was in Park, so it just didn't click in to try that until it was too late and I had already spent the money. Oh well I guess. At least its running again and I have a warrantied starter now haha.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts