Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys this is gonna be a long one so bare with me. I will provide as much information as I can to help you guys out. I have a 96 7.3 stock except for a chip, programmer, intake, and exhaust. I have removed the chip and it is at stock tunes. I lost my thumbs in march of last year in an accident at work before that I had no issues. It sat with occasional driving and always started and ran fine no problems. I had another surgery on january 20th of this year and after about 2 weeks of recovery I went out to start her up batteries were dead no big deal. I charged them up she started up and had an obvious miss. I changed the oil swapped the #2 and #4 injector the issue stayed in the number 2 cylinder. I took it to a mechanic because its pretty difficult for me to work on her now he told me bad uvch pigtail and harness I bought everything replaced it and now It wont start I got it to start one day by cranking it for a while and turning on the high idle tune she ran like crap and iv I left off the pedal she would start to die, now she wont start at all. Never had this issue the whole time iv'e owned the truck it just cranks and spits out white smoke so its getting fuel any ideas what could be up? Thank you to everyone in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Man. Sorry to hear about your thumbs.

Anyway. What brand uvch's and did you replace the pigtails on the engine harness. If you replaced the pigtails i would say you have a bad connection in one or more of the splices.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you first off as for the brand everything is oem I bought it all from riffraff diesel. I used solder butt connectors with the new pigtail so nothing is loose everything is connected correct as well. I should of attempted to start it before I replaced the pig tail but hind sights 20/20. I was thinking maybe the o-rings on the injector's are maybe leaking? I bought new o-rings and once I can get someone to come help me out Ill be replacing those. I was thinking maybe glowplugs arent working? I live in florida so its pretty warm here but its been about 50 around the time iv'e been messing with it. It ran fine when I left the shop 2 weeks ago minus the miss. I brought it home parked it and now it wont start no clue if its related or not. No CEL or codes either.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes Fuel bowl is full I havent checked the Hpop I might be able to do that myself Im not sure any clue what it takes to open the plug? Is it a socket or an allen?

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I still think you have a wiring issue. The only reason i think this. Is i had the same problem when i changed the pigtails on my stepdads obs.

Ohm out each pin to each injector on the new pig tails. The pic above is for the big connector on top of the drivers side valve cover.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright guys this is gonna be a long one so bare with me. I will provide as much information as I can to help you guys out. I have a 96 7.3 stock except for a chip, programmer, intake, and exhaust. I have removed the chip and it is at stock tunes. I lost my thumbs in march of last year in an accident at work before that I had no issues. It sat with occasional driving and always started and ran fine no problems. I had another surgery on january 20th of this year and after about 2 weeks of recovery I went out to start her up batteries were dead no big deal. I charged them up she started up and had an obvious miss. I changed the oil swapped the #2 and #4 injector the issue stayed in the number 2 cylinder. I took it to a mechanic because its pretty difficult for me to work on her now he told me bad uvch pigtail and harness I bought everything replaced it and now It wont start I got it to start one day by cranking it for a while and turning on the high idle tune she ran like crap and iv I left off the pedal she would start to die, now she wont start at all. Never had this issue the whole time iv'e owned the truck it just cranks and spits out white smoke so its getting fuel any ideas what could be up? Thank you to everyone in advance.
I still think you have a wiring issue. The only reason i think this. Is i had the same problem when i changed the pigtails on my stepdads obs.

Ohm out each pin to each injector on the new pig tails. The pic above is for the big connector on top of the drivers side valve cover.
So your saying check from the new pigtail to the uvch harness correct? and ill be looking for 3 ohms?

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
No from the new pigtail to the 42 pin connector on top of the drivers side valve cover.

But you could leave pigtails plugged in and ohm all the way to the injectors from the 42 pin connector.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No from the new pigtail to the 42 pin connector on top of the drivers side valve cover.

But you could leave pigtails plugged in and ohm all the way to the injectors from the 42 pin connector.
I see the connector now it goes over the valve cover next to the fusebox. How does it unplug 20 year old plastic likes to snap in all the wrong ways.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
Unplug the icp and see if it starts. Also what is your voltage while cranking?

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I unplugged the icp and tried it no difference. As for cranking voltage im not entirely sure I just took the batterys out to charge them up. If I let the glowpugs cycle before starting it stays rite at normal on the cluster I know thats not very helpful but thats the best I can do until the batterys are charged up.

·
Not completely stoopid
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dad said hes going to call out of work monday and come over and give me a hand (pretty ####ty im 22 and cant do this stuff myself anymore) but he wants to replace the injector o-rings so its back to how it was before we started working on it then go from there. I dont get how it went from cranking fine sat for 2 weeks now it wont start. It turns over sounds like its gonna fire then goes back to just cranking.

·
Super Moderator
8,068 Posts
I would see what your cranking voltage is. If the volts drop below 10v it wont start.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts