Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys my wifes dad has a 96 f250 psd zf5 4x4 190000 mi. we took his truck and boat fishing fri. night, got to the lake backed down the ramp, shut the truck off, took off the tie downs, front hook put the plug in, i jumped in the truck to back it in and no start( batterys good and charged) cranked over just fine but no fire? we let it cool off, finally she starts, we fish all night get back to the ramp she starts like nothing was wrong. today he calls me from home depot truck wont start, a buddy of his is there and they hook a strap to it pull it 5 feet and she fires right up? thats the part that stumps me cranks over no start, pull it 5 feet dump the clutch and she fires right up? any help guys? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
842 Posts
ipr nut a little loose and letting the sensor slide on the ipr shaft

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, we'll check that out.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Get if fully warmed up and monitor IPR while cranking. I bet it is very slow to build pressure and will not want to reach 500psi.

·
Registered
842 Posts
true i didn't think about that till after ya said it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Temperature related issues usually indicate an o-ring problem, so I would say start by changing out the IPR o-rings. Ford sells an IPR seal kit for (relatively) cheap.

Feel free to call us if you continue to have any problems or if you have just any question about your truck in general. We're more than happy to help. 888-414-3454.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hey your in alpena i am in harrison if ya need some help

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey your in alpena i am in harrison if ya need some help
he gets his work done at BTS, and cale is out of town this week, so we might try to fix this ourselves, tom s said to moniter the ipr while cranking, i dont know if you mean to visually look at it or hook some type of guage ? thanks guys

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
he gets his work done at BTS, and cale is out of town this week, so we might try to fix this ourselves, tom s said to moniter the ipr while cranking, i dont know if you mean to visually look at it or hook some type of guage ? thanks guys
One could watch it with a scan tool or with a manual gauge. It takes about 500psi to fire the injectors.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok , i understand now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
has he had the cps recall completed? cps can cause random no starts and stalls.cps is much easier and quicker check but sounds like ipr issues also.As the truck warms up orings shrink and metal case expands causing a loss of psi,which makes for hard starting.Once it cools and oring expand and case shrinks it will fire like new.prolly the issue here,goodluck>>>>>brian

·
Registered
842 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok guys my wifes dad has a 96 f250 psd zf5 4x4 190000 mi. we took his truck and boat fishing fri. night, got to the lake backed down the ramp, shut the truck off, took off the tie downs, front hook put the plug in, i jumped in the truck to back it in and no start( batterys good and charged) cranked over just fine but no fire? we let it cool off, finally she starts, we fish all night get back to the ramp she starts like nothing was wrong. today he calls me from home depot truck wont start, a buddy of his is there and they hook a strap to it pull it 5 feet and she fires right up? thats the part that stumps me cranks over no start, pull it 5 feet dump the clutch and she fires right up? any help guys? thanks in advance.

the only part i am having the problem with where everyone is stating about the heat soak no starts is that when he said they pull started it while dumping the clutch would jar the ipr sensor that slides on maybe the nut backed off which would cause this same issue but granted it could be o-rings shrinking but there are normally other symptons associated with it other then no starting while warm

·
Registered
446 Posts
CPS is a possibility, mine caused some weird random non cranking issues, usually more so when the engine was warm

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only part i am having the problem with where everyone is stating about the heat soak no starts is that when he said they pull started it while dumping the clutch would jar the ipr sensor that slides on maybe the nut backed off which would cause this same issue but granted it could be o-rings shrinking but there are normally other symptons associated with it other then no starting while warm
do you think we have other issues too?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could it maybe be worn down oil? kinda like guys with big oil have hot start problems?
i know he recently changed oil, and went to a different brand ( idk what kind)
he was using rottela.

·
Registered
842 Posts
thats not what i am saying... just everyone jumps to a cps or hpop there are other things to check before saying it's them... did u check the nut on the ipr is there oil in the icp sensor?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ive not had a chance to look at it yet, prolly be sat before we get to , he did say that the cps was changed out by ford at 100000 mi., we'll prolly check the nut on the icp first, to make sure its not loose, we have no scan guage, but i might be able to borrow one to check the psi. when its warm.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Def sounds like trash in the IPR. possibly a cut o-ring stuck in there. Take out the IPR and clean it. You may even see the trash when ya pull it out.
If cleaning it doesnt fix it up I'll be really surprised.
The reason a pull start works is because the engine is spinning much faster than a starter can spin it. It builds HPOP fast enough and high enough to start.
The starter cant spin it fast enough to overcome the stuck open IPR thats bypassing oil back to the pan. It probably will run better, and have a tad more power after you fix it too.

If this fixes it, and it probly will, you might think about doing o-rings on injectors before too long. Could be them coming apart getting in there.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update: My father inlaw got his truck back fri. the no start when the truck was warm turned out the ipr was bad. Also the hpop was replaced and the fuel canister had a hole in it so it was replaced ( that explains his bad fuel mileage) new fuel lines while they were in there. All work done by BTS. Those guys are awesome.
:ford:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts