Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 4 days ago I pull into work turn my key off and remove it. Everything in the truck shuts off (gauges, radio, etc.) EXCEPT for the motor and my ABS light turned on.

So I pull the IDM relay to shut the motor off and my pillar gauges lights and the ABS light were the only things on.

Not having the time to mess with it, I unhooked the batteries.

It did this about 3 more times (not shutting off)

------New Developments------
For the past 3 days the truck has been turning off as it should, no issues what so ever. Everything is off.

Well I had a neighbor banging on my door 2 days ago at 7am saying my truck was freaking out....

I walk outside and my headlights are on, all my gauges are on, and the radio is on. -NO KEY-

So Messed with it a bit... If i started the truck and shut it off, by the time my auto headlights went out everything would come back on, except for the motor.

To make sure it wasnt my auto headlights I did the same thing but turned my headlights to off, park, and on. Each setting immediately turned on my dash and radio.

-1 day ago. Same thing

Oh and the lights will come on for about 15 seconds go off for 2 seconds and then repeat.

----What Ive done----
Thinking it was a relay hanging up or something I pulled EVERY relay out of the truck and it did not affect the situation. Pile of relays on the floor.....

So Then I though maybe a wire is touching somewhere so I pulled every fuse one by one.

The only fuses to affect anything were fuse 19 - Body Protection?, which turned out the headlights, and the instrument cluster fuse which ofcourse shut off the dash.

I took it to a mechanic and no codes, and of course the truck was on its best behavior then.

ANY IDEAS??????

Thanks
-Zach

2002 Powerstroke
PHP CHIP
etc. etc. etc.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
When my Gem module got wet it did that.
Had winshield replaced leaked square on back of fuse pannel.....not happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where was your GEM module.

Mine is not on the back of the fuse panel.

And my fuse panel is dusty... looks like its never been wet

·
Registered
845 Posts
Probably a short in the wiring from the ignition to the rest of the truck. I had an old Aerostar do the same thing..... And that was the problem......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled every fuse to eliminate a short... Plus it does not happen all of the time. Lately when I go out to the truck in the morning its doing it, but the rest of the day it does not.... Replaced the ignition last night and still did it...

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Posted. My step dads truck did something similar. Moved the steering wheel up and down (tilt wheel) and drove it around in a circle. Has not done it since. I'd like to know what you find, like you stated..... its not a gem issue. I think its in the steering column in my case.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I pulled every fuse to eliminate a short... Plus it does not happen all of the time. Lately when I go out to the truck in the morning its doing it, but the rest of the day it does not.... Replaced the ignition last night and still did it...
On my old Aerostar it wasn't the ignition switch it was the wiring in the column.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went psyco on the truck.

I ripped down the fuse panel and checked everything.
Pulled the steering column apart, and everything is decent.
Got under the hood and played with every wire...

I managed to get the truck to do it when playing with the wire that plugs into the air hose sensor deal right on the front of the turbo, kindof above the fuel bowl.

I got the truck to do it 10 out of like 50 times, so it could be an issue there or complete quincidance.

I have basically ruled out ignition, wounder if it could be the BSM or PCM?

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Black plastic plug or hose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a plug that hooks into a barrell that has air lines coming from the turbo and leading to the wastegate at one point. It's actually hooked on the front of the y piece of the intercooling system

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Did you clean your battery terminals low voltage can do screwy things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow yes, waste gate solenoid. I just unplugged it last night and the truck did not do anything weird.

I don't believe mine works anyways because of the php chip..

And yes my batteries are spotless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts