Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was leaving work early and my truck started vibrating. At first I thought it was just a bad patch in the road so I kept going. Then it started getting more violent. I took my foot off the accelerator which made the vibrations stop. When I started getting back into it, she started vibrating again then just died. I had to coast it for about a 1/8 mile to a parking lot.

Now, I've done some research and have come to assumption that my fuel pump has finally died. I've collected everything to do efuel, but want to make sure that's what it is before I dig into that. I checked my oil levels, fuel filter and they both look good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I switched tanks, the front one was pretty low since I've been trying to drop it. The rear one was just a hair under 1/4. I found out when I first bought the truck that they can run all the way to the red. Before I get flamed for that, it wasn't by choice. I was driving backroads to the panhandle and couldn't find diesel anywhere.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Try putting some more fuel in the rear tank and running off that tank. What _may_ have happened is that the strainer on the end of the pickup inside the tank (aka "showerhead") has fallen off or cracked, and it can't pick up any fuel below aprx. 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If the showerhead has indeed fallen off or cracked, you'll never empty the tank. If you have to work on both tanks, and if you have the space to put it and a couple buddies to help you with it, you could always remove the bed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the showerhead has indeed fallen off or cracked, you'll never empty the tank. If you have to work on both tanks, and if you have the space to put it and a couple buddies to help you with it, you could always remove the bed.
If it was my showerhead wouldn't my fuel bowl be empty?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I got it to the house. When I was being pulled I threw it into 4th and let out in the clutch and it started. It was pretty rough till I revved up to 3k. Let off and it smoothed out for a minute. When the fuel pressure started falling back down to it started getting rough again. So I just kept bring the RPMs up to keep it smooth till I got to my house.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Looks like a clogged artery. Wow. What's in the filter?

I wouldn't think that stuff would get past the filter, but it could damage the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Was it in the line coming into or leaving the filter?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like a clogged artery. Wow. What's in the filter?

I wouldn't think that stuff would get past the filter, but it could damage the diaphragm in the fuel pump. Was it in the line coming into or leaving the filter?
Sorry it's been awhile. Been working a lot. The hose that was clogged was in the front, went right under the alternator. Looks like it ran right under the EBPS tube around the pass. Head.

I've pulled everything ontop of the motor except the pedistal. The rear pass. bolt is rounded off. I bought a Irwin bolt grips to try to get it out. Just haven't had any time. I have to go out of town for a month or two. When I get back I'll see about getting everything put back in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My truck is having a maybe similar issue, at least I think its fuel related. Would it hurt a motor that is not getting fuel to try to roll start it? I could do it where I have it at, and pulling it back up hill would not be a problem. Just dont want to mess anything else up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.