Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone actually tell me if I need Truck tags on my 250, very nice lady at the dmv could not even tell me and I am tired of paying taxes if I do not have to. EW is 7242, GVWR is 10000

·
Registered
324 Posts
No you don't. The trouble is finding the right clerk that's smart enough to figure out what you're trying to do. It took me 2 different DMV's and 3 clerks. And I got lucky that the last clerk had just done this on her husband's truck. They'll warn the #### out of you about getting pulled over and weighed by state cops. Just keep telling them you never tow anything and it's a 100% personal vehicle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I want to say DMV online won't let you reclassify your vehicle. At least it wouldn't last year. Give it a shot though.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
What benefit does running truck tags give a VA driver??

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only benefit that I know of is that if your truck is classified over 7500 lbs and eligible for truck tags, your front and rear bumpers are allowed to be an inch higher than vehicles under 7500lbs.

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

Unfortunately if you do have truck tags you are not eligible for property tax relief.

·
Registered
474 Posts
But if you do tow and get caught it is a nice fine. Oh and if your mil you pay no tax.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Do they still apply taxes if your spouse is on the title as well??

I know they have change the "requirement" for spouses to change over to VA driver's licenses.

·
Registered
474 Posts
We didn't on the 2011 vw. I just sent an LES. And the truck I also just send an LES. oh and asked my DOT trooper buddy bout truck tags. Pretty much if you tow a lot you should get them just because some guys will check. But guys just towing once in a while can "risk" it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The whole purpose on it is to save on personal property taxes in this great state. My 03 was costing me $800 a year. I couldn't imagine what a 2012 goes for.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have painstaingly been going through this a$$ pain for almost 10 years. Regarding the tags, IIRC, truck tags are a lower yearly rate and does allow a inch or so higher for your bumper. I had truck tags (transfered the same ones when i went to a Dodge) on my 2004 F350 CC LB SRW and then on my 2006 Dodge 2500 CC SB. When I purchased my latest 2006 F350 in my signature, i had to restrain myself at DMV (wait time will do that) when the young gentleman assisting me, was giving me regular tags. I asked about the truck tags and he said I was shy "one-pound". My wife seen I was getting red and just said, we'll take care of it later. Either way, its b/s.

Regarding the titling and military status for property tax relief. All of my vehicles are in my name. After my wife and I married, we had a joint title on her Tahoe, and it was a hefty amount of property tax for Virginia. So now, we keep any vehicle in my name only and just provide a LES for my TX home of residence.

- Will

1 - 12 of 12 Posts