Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Sam. I bought this 99 F250 last week and the guy i bought it from said the cam position sensor was a problem on the 7.3 engines. So i tried to start the truck tonight after I spent a long time fixing the block heater to bring it to my high school's Auto-club and the wait to start light didn't come on. I thought that was pretty weird but i figured eh the engine is probably just warm already because the block heater was plugged in. So i started it and it fired right up.Then i put it in gear to drive off an when i pushed down on the pedal nothing happened but it would move around at idle. So i looked around and all of my gauges where dead. So i figured the cps wad bad and replaced it with the spare the guy gave me and I still had the same problem and I don have a SES light so I'm really confused. The SES light did come on two days ago when I was driving to menards after cranking the engine for 30 sec to get it to start in the cold when the block heater was out. The light was gone when i came out from menards after starting it up. Does any of this sound familiar? I'm new to diesels but I do have a strong mechanical backround.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Usually it will blow the fuse and wont even run so this probably isnt it but you may want to unplug the fuel heater at bottom of fuel bowl and check fuse 22 under hood.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the engine valley right behind the hpop oil resevoir.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Also if yours is an auto it might be an issue with the OD wires chaffed in steering column. You will need to take the lower cover off and see how the wires look. If it is an auto check fuse 19 and 45 I think it varies based upon year.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fuse 19 and 45 will be the ones to check if auto they are under the dash. For the fuel heater it will be under the hood and its a good idea to go ahead and leave it unplugged since its not needed and will save you a headache down the road when it does short out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay i'll check fuses 22,19, and 45 and unplug the fuel heater.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Also for your knowledge keep that old cps as a spare and dont replace it with one from your local auto parts store get the ford one which can be had from alot of the vendors for alot less than ford.

Usually when the CPS is going out the truck will just randomly die and restart on its own once it starts that its only a matter of time till it quits and leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay I checked all of the fuses and 19 was half hanging out with a random red wire stuck in. So I cleaned up the wire and stuck the fuse and wire back in and my dash came back. I haven't started the truck yet to see if that was the problem because it it VERY cold and i don't wana kill my batteries starting it and shutting it down but i'll see in the morning when i drive to school. Thanks guys for your help :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
No problem glad it is working again. If your truck starts that hard you need to read this thread and start testing http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27553. Your truck should not need to be plugged in to start and starting once should not drain the batteries if it does you need to have them load tested individually since one is probably bad.

Also use the search feature it will be your best friend since most problems someone else have already encountered and the solution will be there for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts