Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at cold startup I get the usual cloud of smoke and it goes away after a couple of seconds it goes away. My question is should there always be some smoke coming out the exhaust? I drove it to the gas station a couple of blocks away and noticed that the truck had some bluish smoke coming out the exhaust. Drove it home and let it idle for about 15 to 20 minutes while I cleaned out the interior. Looked at the tip and noticed there was still smoke coming out but it wasn't too noticible.i don't know if it was because it was parked in the shade and it made the smoke less noticible but there was still some smoke coming out.is this normal for the truck or is there something wrong? The truck has 226k on it. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

·
Registered
433 Posts
i would say that it isn't up to temp with just a short drive.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yeah mine will puff smoke at startup and smoke slightly until fully warmed up. I have 97K miles. From what I gather it is the nature of the beast. I always figure if it smells like regular diesel smoke then its unburnt fuel. If it smells like oil as well then you may have a problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well ill take it for a long drive today. Lets say that it still smoke s with it being warmed up all the way. What would this smoke mean?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If its warmed up, and blows lite blue in color under light acceleration from idle and clears up some what its probably shot injectors.
When its idling is the exhaust smell strong and stinging your eyes? This is another sign of tired injectors.
Another test to determine if its injector problem or high pressure o-rings: Take her onto highway. Use full throttle from 40 to 70 mph and watch the smoke. If after 4 or 5 passes of 1 or 2 minutes at full throttle acceleration, the smoke significantly disappears its injectors. Reason is the shot injectors are not atomizing the fuel properly under light load, the affected cylinders are passing unburnt fuel into the exhaust system, under full throttle the heat burns the unburnt fuel up. This why it clears up after couple runs at full power.
If the smoke doesn't clear up after couple runs or gets worse with increasing throttle it probably o-rings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 04 with a 6.0 and i get blue and white smoke at start up. if i do not let it warm up at first it will dump out black smoke then slowly change over to blue then back to white and or clear and by clear i mean it looks like a gas engine when its cold... just the vapors comming out... but once its warmed up there is none other than a little bit of black when i tromp on it. I would say what ur describing is normal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts