Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have read this forum a few times before when working on Ford diesels, but had to join to ask a few questions on this one. It is an 02 F450 with the 7.3. It runs fine for about the first 20 min of operation and then it will begin to run rough and put out white smoke. When cold @ full load the IPR is at 35% and ICP goes up to 2800PSI. When it starts running rough it sets a P1211(ICP above or below desired) and the IPR goes to 65% and ICP only gets to somewhere around 1900PSI. It will get so bad that it barely moves and you have to limp it back to the shop. Let it cool down a bit and it will run fine until it gets hot again. I have replaced the IPR and ICP. No change.

I don't have much expeirence with these trucks so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
46 Posts
My thinking is that when the oil heats up your loosing pressure either because you need an oil change or poor quality oil ( not a diesel rated oil) . Or i would hate to say this but your HPOP might be on the way out.

·
WNY Biodiesel Co-op
46 Posts
White smoke could be from a leaking head gasket that sdhows up when hot. Any coolant loss?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HPOP or a leak in the system is what I was thinking too. It just seems to happen so suddenly and it really doesn't have to sit long ( maybe 5 min?) before it runs fine again. I don't think the viscosity would change that quick.

I will check the coolant in the morning.

Today when it started to run bad I kept my foot in it and it stalled out. While cranking to get it to fire up again it set a P1670 code. I didn't have time to look it up today, but it may have been from trying to start it for a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Did you ever figure this out, my truck is doing the exact same thing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks Jeret, I was starting to think the same thing this morning when I unhooked the ICP sensor and the idle drop and it started running rougher. Just changed the IPR orings and cleaned it with little change, but the good thing is the orings were starting to leak so I didnt waste my time doing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts