Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I could have put this in the towing section and mods feel free to move if you think it should be. I posted it here because I have researched this extensively and it seems to be a very common 08-10 SD problem.

Towing my 10k GN horse trailer the truck will lightly shudder on take off from a stop if I get into the gas pedal some but most noticeable when it is towing up a grade and downshifts from OD to 4th it will sometimes shudder pretty bad for a few seconds. I have read traction bars, timberns, airbags, throw away the two piece drive shaft and have a custom one piece made, shimming, etc..... for each answer I find people who disagree.

If you have had this problem and actually resolved it please post what you did to fix it. I hate to just start throwing money at it now knowing which really works.

I use a 40hp tow tune also.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Put some trac bars on there and you should be good to go. That should cure your shake from a stop and should also going up the grade.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved cheap and easy in case anyone else search's this problem.

Lowered the nose on the GN trailer so the nose was just under and inch high compared to the rear. Trailer tows like a dream now with very little bucking over rough spots in the road and no shuddering when the truck down shifts up steep grades.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had similar shudder when towing my 5th wheel when taking off and when it would shift into 3rd. Basically driveline vibes. I removed the 1" spacer from the center support on the driveshaft and that removed about 80% of my vibes. Now I get just a very little bit on take off, but it's smooth after about 15mph. Traction bars would be the best fix, but this was quick and easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts