Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent most of the afternoon getting my truck ready to hit the track for the first time this year.... got to the track and got prepped, only to find out they are only racing eighth mile due to the wind.. i got my refund and left.. On the way home the truck momentarily shutoff and kicked back in as if it was a CPS shudder symptom. A minute later it shut off completely (thinking CPS again), i popped it up into N and restarted while on the move and kept doing it. A few miles later same thing, twice... on the second time it happened it would not resume cranking when i hit the key.. Pulled over thinking maybe the Neutral Safety Switch was off a little bit, went through the entire shifter range, and no luck. I checked all fuses under the dash, and the battery connections, made sure what i could see visually looked normal, and rapped on the starter with pliers= nothing.

I got the truck off the road at Stroked's house, and im going to look at it tomorrow. Weeks ago on the trip to TN for tuning, on the return trip the chip was showing signs of being loose (same deal) however it wasnt. I will check the chip to make sure its installed on the tab fully, and check a few basic things. Any ideas?

On a side note, i got home and found five bucks in my pocket, so i guess it all worked out. :poke:

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sure sounds electrical to me. Hell yea on the five bucks though. Like Christmas only Not

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
This may be a reach, but I had my CPS and starter solenoid go out at the same time a few years back. Have you tried turning on the ignition and jumpering the starter solenoid on the passenger fender well? It took me some head scratching to figure out this simple problem when it happened to me. I tend to over-complicate things at times.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
This may be a reach, but I had my CPS and starter solenoid go out at the same time a few years back. Have you tried turning on the ignition and jumpering the starter solenoid on the passenger fender well? It took me some head scratching to figure out this simple problem when it happened to me. I tend to over-complicate things at times.
I hate when two things break at the same time.

If the chip was loose it would still crank over. Are you getting a wait to start light?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Even if the PCM was fried and smoking. The motor would still turn over with the starter. Unless of course you have two broken things at the same time, like Icanski said.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
He has an '02. There isn't a starter solenoid on the inner fender....but there is a nice big yellow wire with a connector that is located near the vacuum pump/reservoir that is a great place to check for ignition/PRNDL/starter fuses and relay operation.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the ideas... We tossed a starter at it today just to find out it was a bad neutral safety switch and a blown 30A maxifuse, I think #113, and all is back to normal

·
Well Hung Member
635 Posts
and then I found 5 dollars,...... i wisssh,...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts