Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1997f250hd
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 1997 f250 HD. A few days ago the eyelet from my power harness to my starter broke, so I just got a whole new harness because my cables are oem and mangled. I got it all put back together, and now the truck feels much spunkier. Blowing a lot more black smoke in my higher tunes, and it's much faster but also more gentle. But my main concern is my transmission is not in the best shape. I've rebuilt it and put a billet converter and valve body and a 2nd cooler and shift kit. Well it's had a leak that started about a year and a half ago from the pan. I replaced the pan with another stock pan, and got a new Ford gasket, the plastic one with the metal inserts and it stopped the leak for a few months, and now it's back, leaking from several spots on the pan and all the bolts are torqued to spec. Well after I started the truck with the new cables, and while driving, the tachometer was rising much faster than usual. It would literally jump to 1600-2000 rpm from a stop, with very gentle pressure. But then it would slow down and the truck accelerated smoother and faster than I've ever felt. It didn't feel like the Trans slipping. But I could be wrong. I just haven't found a writeup on this and I wanna know if my Trans is about to die or if it's just running normally now that it had full electrical power

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I'd say that you are experiencing the placebo effect.

·
1997f250hd
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say that you are experiencing the placebo effect.
I wouldn't. I've been driving very gentle and I drive 70 miles a day in it. It's got way more on the low end then it ever has. Used to have to get into it halfway down the pedal or more for city traffic in a small town. Now it's barely touch the throttle to a quarter and I'm on someone's ass

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I can't see a thing that replacing the battery cable could of done to increase performance. Starting and charging I'd say yes but not performance.

The computer controlled systems on these trucks either work or they don't and to improve performance with one or more of them something else would of had to of been done besides changing out a cable.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
1997f250hd
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but the transmission can be affected by low battery power. But thankyou.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I see you have electric fuel listed in your signature. Better power perhaps is giving better fuel pressure and maybe volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts