Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting codes for the middle connector of the ficm of my truck, 2 3 5 8 injectors high or low I think. I ordered and used ficm and tossed it in, ran fine but was low on voltage so I sent it back. Put mine back in and it ran fine for around 400 miles then would miss a little bit every once in a while, then went out to straight missing and that's when I shut the truck down.

Now my back is hurt and it's very hard to do things but I have to fix it myself so I'll need a little extra help finding it.

I ordered a ultimate ficm from ficmrepair and tossed that in and it's still missing out really bad. I've started it twice now and still missing but no codes that matter.

I've looked at the connector twice now and it looks fine, was kinda hard to get the middle one off. What should I check next? I get about 10-15 min work then I have to take a break.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New ficm and alternator is in, still missing out. Filled tank to full, still missing.

Going to check fuel pressure tomorrow, still don't have a guage in the cab, really wish I had one. Blue spring has 65k miles and around 9 years on it. Filters are close to 10k, my filters come out clean after 10k. I bet it's the fuel pump I do have a spare.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I'm assuming you looked for a chafing injector harness? Have you done a bubble test to see if maybe some air from the cylinders is getting into the fuel system and messing with fuel delivery? Doubtful since both banks were getting codes, but it's possible. I would also consider taking a look at the FICM connector again to see if any of the pins are loose. Fuel pressure, as you already know, would also be on my list. Dude....ya gotta get a gauge. I was recently giving a co-worker crap for not having one when he came to me for advice on a problem. After two weeks he finally got one and found his pressure was in the high 30's. Ouch!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know, I have serious money-time problems, I betting it's in the 20's.

Time problems are worse now with my back, took me probably half a day to replace the ficm and the alternator.

I'll be starting to check it in about an hour.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel pressure is rock solid at 60 off and idle. Misses so much it lightly shakes the truck.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

The only clue I might have is the hood light blinks on and off when running but voltage stays at 14 with a cheap electronic volt meter.

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,433 Posts
Do you still have the same 4 injector electrical codes, or is it now contribution codes?

If you do still have those 4 injector electrical codes with that new FICM, then it almost has to be the harness/connector.

Do you have a schematic for identifying the wiring for each specific injector so you an do a resistance check?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No codes, I've only driven to a couple miles to fill the tank.

No I don't have any wiring schematics.

Plan on doing a Bubble test today and maybe changing fuel filters

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
And good fuel with no water I'm assuming? Of course filter change can verify that. It's just so weird the way it's presenting.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bubble test passed. I started it and ran codes again jic and not sure if I missed p0266 because it was grey or new. If I have an injector out I'm going to be pissed, 50k on injectors.

I'm think of driving it around 10 miles to see if it shows up as a fault code or not. Idk any ideas? What can I get or buy to run a cyl contribution balence test?

Font Screenshot Darkness Multimedia Number

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,433 Posts
Uncompensated cylinder contribution (cylinder balance) test can only be done by IDS or IDS clones.

Sounds like you had several issues at once. Electrical codes on 2,3,5,8 is almost certainly a FICM or a connector. That seems to be resolved since the codes are gone.

Is your EGR system still functional? If so, it looks like you have a bad EGR valve, and I have heard of that contributing to miscellaneous injector contribution codes.

Could you remind me where you got the injectors?

·
"resident smarty pants"
5,433 Posts
FICM plug, injector wiring (to and from FICM plug), and injector testing (0.8-1 ohms is good):

C1388a (end plug nearest firewall): 1, 4, 6, 7
#1 injector
Pin #2 (ground) to pin #19 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #5 (ground) to pin #20 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#4 injector
Pin #1 (ground) to pin #23 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #6 (ground) to pin #24 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#6 injector
Pin #4 (ground) to pin #21 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #7 (ground) to pin #22 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#7 injector
Pin #3 (ground) to pin #17 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #8 (ground) to pin #18 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​

C1388b (middle plug): 2, 3, 5, 8
#2 injector
Pin #2 (ground) to pin #17 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #6 (ground) to pin #18 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#3 injector
Pin #4 (ground) to pin #19 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #8 (ground) to pin #20 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#5 injector
Pin #1 (ground) to pin #21 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #5 (ground) to pin #22 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​
#8 injector
Pin #3 (ground) to pin #23 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Open coil
Pin #7 (ground) to pin #24 (power) should have 0.8-1 ohms: Close coil​

Troubleshoot injector coils:
Unplug the injector and ohm the pins. Ohm range .6 to 1.0 ohms at test pins 1&2(open coil) and 3&4 (close coil).
The pins are numbered on the plug. Test at ambient air temp.
Be advised these pins are small and hard to get on cleanly without touching the probes on the other pins.​

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The egr is gone, no tune

Injectors came with the Ford long block.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Font Screenshot Multimedia Darkness Software

Drove the truck 3-4 miles finally set a p0265 code. When I get a chance I'm going to pull the harness and ohm it out and check it. I should have a spare harness so I'm going to check with at a time. I was doing some reading and a short can cause all 4 injector codes to come up so hopefully it's a easy fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts