Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving around today and after a couple hours it started dying the cel came on and even holding it to the floor it just slowly died,waited a few minutes and it only started after I gave it some pedal,ran for about a half hour almost got it home and it happened again.the thing that I don't. Get is after restarting it the cel is off so I'm sure there are no codes please help.thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just because the cel is off does not inducate codes are not set.... you should still scan it, to see if anything is there ... It sounds like it's fuel related however ... have you checked your fuel pressure ?

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
With the CEL going on/off, sounds like a high pressure oil problem. Check HPOP system, ICP, IPR sensors. If CEL stays on, could be CPS if you have never changed. Check fuel pressure and fuel bowl, re-scan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my fuel pressure gauge reads normal ratings,and I did the cps 3 weeks ago,so ill scan it and let you know what I find.thanks for the fast replies

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was having a similar problem. Cel would never stay on. Truck would miss then die. Wiggled the wires to the Cps and the truck died. I just had to bend the prongs on mine they were loosing contact. I would check your Cps wiring for burnt wires. Sensor could be going as well. Mine would never stor a cel code, would just set the cel when it died then go away when restarted.

·
Registered
486 Posts
X2 on the scanner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i scanned it and no codes,i drove it around for hours and it stalled a couple times but no cel.so know i really dont know.

·
Offical Puddle Displacer
2,339 Posts
i would change the cps that will screw with you if its starting to go bad. then when it fails your stranded

way off topic buuut i see your in wallingford, where abouts? im just outside of middletown

·
Registered
179 Posts
There was a typo in my frist post. I have no idea why I said I was having trouble with my cps. I meant my ICP. Sorry. I must have read CPS somewhere and had that in my head. I would check your ICP, and IRP. It sounds like a HPOP system problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the cps already about 2 weeks ago,I called napa and they don't have an icp listed is it a dealer item?and I live near the oakdale.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting ICP? You need to see actual pressure readings at start up, idle, wot, if you want to know where HPOP system is failing. If you just changed CPS, make sure you have it seated all the way in. Check connection and signal from CPS. Have you checked fuel filter, FPR screen??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i check the cps,fuel filter which is new and screen all good.today when driving around it was good for awhile then it did it again so i disconnected the icp,restarted the truck now the cel stayed on truck seemed to run pretty good till i got on the highway and layed into it,it seemed to have a serious loss of power,maybe because the cel was on not really sure.also upon shut off it leaked a little fuel which i was pretty sure i fixed all the leaks on the bowl...maybe fuel pump now...man i hope not.

·
JFURNER77
404 Posts
Get HPOP system pressure and fuel pressure :D
Can't tell ya anything w/out #'s

·
Registered
179 Posts
I put a 3000psi I gauge on my driverside head and a 100psi on my fuel system and ran them under the wiper blade and went for a drive. I found my ICP problem befor I went for a drive (by fluke) but it was great to see the condition of my HPOP and fuel pump. I would recomend starting there. Just changing parts can get kinda pricey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well i didnt have a 3000 psi gauge but i did have a 2000 psi gauge and it gets pinned,and i had an auto meter 50psi fuel pressure gauge and that bounces between 30 and 40 at idle,and 50 at half or more pedal but when u gas on it the pressure drops from being pinned to about 20-30 is that normal i thought maybe because all the fuel was leaving the bowl and going to the injectors,or is my pump going bad?this is my first psd so i have no problem pulling it apart and learning more about the truck which i have to say is the best truck i have ever owned.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I f you are losing that much pressure under load the pump is toasted.... unless you have a real serious restriction in the tank and OR a clogged fuel filter....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts