Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After sitting for two weeks, I went to start the poor thing. Had low batteries as I cycled the glow plugs, and waited for the light to go out...
Turned over, and barely started..
Well, it was barely running, smoking huge black smoke out the pipe, idleing about 475-525...
Shut it down...cycled key again...no go, batteries dead.

Got a buddy to give me a boost with his little ranger...same thing, tons of black smoke, very low RPM's, and a ticking sound coming from around the FICM area.

Gave it NOT enough time to charge batteries before I tried it again, and again.

Same result every time...heavy black smoke, NO response from the throttle pedal when pushed to the floor trying to rev it up...very low RPM's...

I called the wife, and told her I was leaving the truck, and getting a ride home, (3 hour drive) with a buddy...

Truck ran beautiful before it was shut down...no problems with the drive.

Possible causes???

-Very weak batteries
-botched GPM (Glow Plug Module)
-Crapped out FICM???

What could it be?

I need to take everything possible...there was no check engine light, but I am taking the A/E software with me when I go. (I think the truck has to run for it to work though...)

-it was starting to build oil pressure, but I had to shut it off.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
my batteries are going bad. mine will do the same thing but just leave it idleing it will clear it eventually. at least mine does. just drive it a little bit to charge the batteries back up.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my batteries are going bad. mine will do the same thing but just leave it idleing it will clear it eventually. at least mine does. just drive it a little bit to charge the batteries back up.
It won't idle...the last time it did start with the heavy smoke, and very low idle...it quit.

An like I said in the first post, there is no response from the pedal.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It won't idle...the last time it did start with the heavy smoke, and very low idle...it quit.

An like I said in the first post, there is no response from the pedal.
mine has never died but it will do that for about a minute. is it cold where your at

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
If the batteries really are that dead. Does the radio and A/C and other stuff come on? Those are the first to drop when the batteries are really that dead.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
yea..if the voltage is super low, the truck will act crazy, I know mine did, If I left the battery charger plugged in, it would act fine. You should know better then letting that truck sit for 2 weeks though!! If I am not driving mine, I try to crank it 2-3 per week.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is it cold where you are? Could be gelled up but I doubt it because if your seeing black smoke then your getting plenty of fuel but you could change fuel filters...Id start with the batteries.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...lots of fuel pressure.
It was like +3*C (36*F) so no, it's not cold...
The clock on the stereo was still the right time.
The gauges were starting to go to 100% and back while cranking. (LOW volts)

The glow plug light was taking a awhile to turn off before I cranked it over. The duration never got shorter, seemed to stay the same.

The smoke was so bad, when the truck was not running, smoke was still rolling out of the pipe. (Covered the snow on the ground.)

Adam...when I don't drive my truck for 2 weeks, it's cuz I'm 24 hours away from it. (It sits at the airport)

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Ok...lots of fuel pressure.
It was like +3*C (36*F) so no, it's not cold...
The clock on the stereo was still the right time.
The gauges were starting to go to 100% and back while cranking. (LOW volts)

The glow plug light was taking a awhile to turn off before I cranked it over. The duration never got shorter, seemed to stay the same.

The smoke was so bad, when the truck was not running, smoke was still rolling out of the pipe. (Covered the snow on the ground.)

Adam...when I don't drive my truck for 2 weeks, it's cuz I'm 24 hours away from it. (It sits at the airport)
The glow plug on time is controlled by oil temp. If you never got it running long enough, the oil temp never came up and you probably got the full 2 minute on time, everytime.

Hold the remote to your chin. I heard it will help remote start over longer distances. I read that on the internet.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
The glow plug on time is controlled by oil temp. If you never got it running long enough, the oil temp never came up and you probably got the full 2 minute on time, everytime.

Hold the remote to your chin. I heard it will help remote start over longer distances. I read that on the internet.
the guy that said that on the internet just had a metal chin implant from a previous fight and never put 2 & 2 together that it helps in sending signals to his remote start..LOL

whats the temp for being plugged in 32* and below, I am sure it had been below that for the 2weeks that it sat, so it should be plugged in, although I know at the airport that's not really an option, even though you don't think 36* is cold, it really is cold.

Low batteries, probable extreme temps and no block heater plugged in. Did you get the truck home yet?

Maybe all the problems are because you have an EGR delete, I hear that they cause lots of problems with running and even extreme cases it affects transmission shifting..:D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the guy that said that on the internet just had a metal chin implant from a previous fight and never put 2 & 2 together that it helps in sending signals to his remote start..LOL

whats the temp for being plugged in 32* and below, I am sure it had been below that for the 2weeks that it sat, so it should be plugged in, although I know at the airport that's not really an option, even though you don't think 36* is cold, it really is cold.

Low batteries, probable extreme temps and no block heater plugged in. Did you get the truck home yet?

Maybe all the problems are because you have an EGR delete, I hear that they cause lots of problems with running and even extreme cases it affects transmission shifting..:D

I had to park in the damn overflow because of the Olympics...no plug ins.
No, the truck is still at the airport. (3 hours away...thats why I need to take everything that it "Could" be...)
I honestly think it's the batteries finally giving up the ghost.

Odyssey batteries are only $800.00 for the pair...:eek:

Maybe I'll try the "Yellow Tops" this time around...the "Red Tops" did me no favors...

I do have the delete...maybe I should put the truck back to stock.....

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I think it is just low batteries. I know when mine where low it cranked real slow, then started up with a bunch of white smoke, and my gauges would max out then come back down and twitch. I noticed that it takes a while for the voltage to come up in my truck, the lights get brighter and the engine changes tone slightly, and this all happens about a minute after I start it. IDK if that is the glow plugs shutting off or what. I'm thinking that if you manage to make it past that first few minutes it will be fine, but being that you have a 3 hour drive back to it and can see why you don't want to take any chances...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take some fresh Batteries, a generator, and a battery charger. Fire that generator up and plug er in while your changing out the batteries. I'm sure she is one cold bitch. She needs some lovin...Give er some heat:D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best way to describe how it idles:

Think of a severly flooded gas engine that "just" starts...you know how it just barely fires each cylinder, cuz everything is wet...and more pedal does nothing....and it either just sits there chugging away, or quites......thats what it was doing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
since i took my chip off my truck, Everyday i start it for the first time it lopes really bad and i usally dies 2 or 3 times and it puffs out lil clouds everytime it lopes and it does that for about a min. then it smoothes out but it usally still wont have any throttle response for another min or so.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts