Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a programmer for my truck i went with a sct. i know there are better programmer out there for the 7.3 but i got a good deal on this and i figured eventually i will buy some custom tunes from innovative diesel. but for now im just running the preloaded tunes and even on the highest setting 110hp the truck just doesnt fell touchy at all but when you get on it it blows black smoke and goes its just driving around normal it feels just the same as stock idk if its the way it is suppoes to be or what. so what i would like to know is this how other trucks are with programmers

·
Registered
237 Posts
It should have more power all the time. Programmers suck on the 7.3 IMO tho. I tried a hypertech back in the day (4 years ago) and it was weak. Get a ts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya I know there not the best but I figured if I put custom tunes it would be just as good as a chip

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
they can get very close with an sct ..
but not sure who all writes tunes for them I am pretty sure dp does maybe gearhead , php, etc..

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I prefer swamps tunes for a 7.3 but that IMO. Sell that programmer on ebay and get custom tunes.

·
Registered
633 Posts
A well tuned truck regardless of the tune shouldn't be touchy IMO
Should drive like normal till you stomp it. Had touchy tunes will never go back.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
There is something wrong with the truck. There is nothing wrong with the programer you are using... Good lord some of these dumbass posters...

"mmm sell the tuner, a chips is betters..."

For christ sake...

To the OP, check for boost leaks, drive pressure leaks and fuel pressure. I'm guessing you dont have gauges, which is never a good idea once your running a tuner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i dont think its your programmer, nor do i think a chip would do any difference.. id start off simple and check for boost leaks.. that sounds a little more realistic... my buddy has a programmer now for a while and refuses to get rid of it, never 1 issue to date, he has DP tunes on it i believe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree that you need some gauges. It is hard to diagnose a problem without knowing what your baselines are. As already said, you can check for boost leaks (I recently fixed a couple on my truck), and you can also check to see if your air filter is clean / free flowing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a brand new air filter. i dont have gauges i know i need to get some. my programmer tells me boost psi and when i stomp on it it runs around 17-20 psi thats the max i have seen it at when im driving through town about 2lbs of boost idk whats normal for the 7.3 or if my programmer is accurate on the boost

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
tad low i would say but with out a boost ooler some programs defuel at 23 psi.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i am going to buy a boost fooler for sure hopefully that will help. my icp sensor and exhaust back pressur sensor is bad could these hurt my performance?

·
International Coal Roller
383 Posts
If your sensors are shot then your have issues with performance, especially your icp sensor, change them out with international parts and I would go ahead and change out the feed tube to the ebps while your at it

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Mine was filled rusted and split..lol
I made a new one out of brake line, i found out i had to reuse the old end fittings..to get a good seal.
Not worth the time, just buy a new one.

I dont know that it will hurt performance to a large extent but it will hurt milage and thus your wallet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya i made a new line with brake line but in the process i snapped the actual sensor. i have read that it can cause your truck to defuel when the ebps is bad so i dint know if that was true or not

·
Registered
60 Posts
You'll KNOW when you need a boost fooler.

You'll be able to feel the defueling cycles. It's very noticable. (according to my experience with my truck)

My ICP sensor went bad too about 1-2 months ago. Ran better then ever after it was repalced. Very weird driving it home with a shot ICP sensor.... noooooo power.

When I drive around town the truck only puts out maybe 5 psi, which is good because it's getting good fuel mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.