Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving from my brother's wedding yesterday, my truck died while slowing up to a stoplight. Coasted into a gas station. It wouldn't restart, but cranked easily. Called for a tow truck, but when the tow truck got there, it started right up. It ran, but really rough. A little background, it died a few days earlier while idling in a parking lot. Unplugged the ICP, and it fired up right away. Put in a new ICP after the first instance, and it still occurred the second time yesterday. Tried unplugging it again, but still wouldn't start. I always keep a can of silicone spray with me, and it would try to start on that, but once it would burn the small amount off, it would die. It runs today, but still pretty rough, either with the sensor plugged in or unplugged. I also checked the pump on the frame rail each time, it was running with the key on in both instances. The crank sensor was replaced roughly a year ago under the recall at the local Ford dealer. By the way, I don't have any chip or tuner on the truck. Any ideas? This is my only driver, so very important to figure out soon! Any help is VERY appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Replace the CPS again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the help, I'll try that tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
These CPS's may last a lifetime, or they may last ten minutes. If it fixes your issue, throw the old one away and buy a spare and throw it in the glove box.

·
917 Posts
Diesel o rings.com still has black ones in stock!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a difference? i just got mine from the dealer this morning, it was grey. Is this black one better, last longer or something?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
It is the original, the new gray ones have been known to cause some issues.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, this problem is still occurring, replaced the CPS with the International part from Diesel o rings, same issue. The truck will start fine when cold, but once it warms all of the way up, it either dies, or will not restart if shut off. The fuel pump is working, I have over 65 lbs. of fuel pressure by cycling the key. The hpop reservoir is full, or near the top any way after cranking a bit. I have tried looking for the IDM to check voltages, but I can't seem to find it. The Ford evtm shows it at/near the firewall on the driver's side- basically where the PCM is. Any help on this location? Or am I just looking for something that is really part of the PCM? Kind of lost here, been without a reliable truck for weeks now. By the way, the black CPS did seem to make a difference in how the truck runs, when it actually will start, so thanks a bunch for the recommendation! Has anyone ever replaced the IDM, and if so, for what kind of problem? The new one is over $800 from Ford, Advance Auto Parts and Autozone want close to $400, but I don't trust electronics from them. Any/all help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for the help so far!

·
blame the dog..
1,945 Posts
Well, this problem is still occurring, replaced the CPS with the International part from Diesel o rings, same issue. The truck will start fine when cold, but once it warms all of the way up, it either dies, or will not restart if shut off. The fuel pump is working, I have over 65 lbs. of fuel pressure by cycling the key. The hpop reservoir is full, or near the top any way after cranking a bit. I have tried looking for the IDM to check voltages, but I can't seem to find it. The Ford evtm shows it at/near the firewall on the driver's side- basically where the PCM is. Any help on this location? Or am I just looking for something that is really part of the PCM? Kind of lost here, been without a reliable truck for weeks now. By the way, the black CPS did seem to make a difference in how the truck runs, when it actually will start, so thanks a bunch for the recommendation! Has anyone ever replaced the IDM, and if so, for what kind of problem? The new one is over $800 from Ford, Advance Auto Parts and Autozone want close to $400, but I don't trust electronics from them. Any/all help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for the help so far!
the IDM is buried in the drivers frt fender WAYYYYYYYYyyyyyy up at the top... unbolt the bottom of the fender and about half the liner to get to it..

check the spades/pins in the CPS connector.. make sure they're good & snug and not splaying open with the heat of the engine..

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
How many miles on the truck. I might be starting to suspect injectors. But it does seem like time to check the IDM. Also might want to check the ICP. Look for an electrical plug on the front of the driver side head. Start the truck and pull the plug. If the truck changes the way it is running, it means it is good. If nothing changes, it is probably bad. If it is covered in oil, it is bad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truck has roughly 180,000 on it. I actaully already replaced the ICP twice, the first time because it was leaking through the plug, the second time because I thought that i had a bad one and it was causing the problems I am having. Only reaon that i am shying away from the injectors is that I have worked on some 7.3's with harnesses that were burned to a crisp with only one bank firing and they would still start, they'd run like crap, but they would still start. Mine seems to be running fine, then it just dies, no sputtering, or trying to stay running, like you just shut the key off-completely dead all at once. Does that make any sense?

·
Rented Mule
95 Posts
Check the end of the IPR to see if the stamped steel nut is slill on it. It may be laying in the intake valley.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ipr nut is attached and tight. Had a friend scan it yesterday and there are no codes. Was able to get it to die after warming up, then tried to restart it. There was only 165 psi from the hpop, and the IPR showed between 60-70% duty cycle so it is trying to send the oil to the injectors. I was told though that it is not an hpop issue. I was told to replace injector o-rings and IPR o-rings. They come in tomorrow from Ford, I will keep you all updated.....Thanks for all of the suggestions, it is a big help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It ended up being the IPR, replaced it and hasn't died since. Although while fixing that I noticed that the uppipes were leaking a bunch, got them out and new ones came in today. Hopefully will get them in tomorrow. Thanks for everyone's replies, I appreciate all of the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts