Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck's been doing this for about 4 years now...

And I'm tired of it...

The truck will "skip" doing down the interstate, and if I'm at idle or right above, it will flat out DIE if the wipers are on intermittent... Not EVERY swipe, but I'd say 1 out of every 30 maybe, but it's consistant. The first few times it did it, it blew my mind, and now I know not to leave my wipers on anything but off or the top two settings...

I've heard people say water on the PCM... It's not that... It's been through two PCM's, done it with two different CPS's, chipped, not chipped, everything...

Does anyone have an other idea what it could be?? It's just aggrevating...

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
GEM module I would assume buddy!!!
:whs:

Most likely you have a leak around the windshield, just above the steering column. There was a TSB out for it years back if I recall correctly.

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
I would say get rid of those ugly mirrors first, at least the truck will look good when you are getting towed home.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truck cranks straight back up. :D

If you don't leave my awesome mirrors alone... :mad: LOL

That's weird that the windshield would be leaking. I think it's more likely that the GEM is bad... Don't you Dirk? I'd think that if the windshield had been leaking for 10 years, my GEM would be all the way dead.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
I think you GEM is about to die out..completely. But I would check for signs of water leaking in. Doesn't take much over time.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like a drop every rain? Or... is it something I could see? I swear it's been doing this for at least the 5 years I've owned the truck... I can pull the GEM and check for corrosion.

·
All done now
22,483 Posts
If your windshield is leaking, you will see stains from underneath. The leak is probably caused by your mirrors.

·
Hater Club
3,602 Posts
Like a drop every rain? Or... is it something I could see? I swear it's been doing this for at least the 5 years I've owned the truck... I can pull the GEM and check for corrosion.
What year is the truck?

Seriously, 99-01.. there were known issues about the windshield leak and seem leaks. Many GEMs have died from corrosion. Yours may or may not be caused by this. I would also check the connections at the main fuse block under the hood.

If your windshield is leaking, you will see stains from underneath. The leak is probably caused by your mirrors.
That is rare. While I agree that sometimes water can get in from the mirrors, it usually effects door functions, door seem rust, and mold in the carpet.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What year is the truck?

Seriously, 99-01.. there were known issues about the windshield leak and seem leaks. Many GEMs have died from corrosion. Yours may or may not be caused by this. I would also check the connections at the main fuse block under the hood.

That is rare. While I agree that sometimes water can get in from the mirrors, it usually effects door functions, door seem rust, and mold in the carpet.
LOL

I think he was just poking fun Dirk. I'll check it today. It's raining now.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
have you tried the wipers on a day its not raining???

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
have you tried the wipers on a day its not raining???
Well, yes and no. it wasn't raining, but there was a little bit of dew on the windshield. I'd have to say that it's 100% unrelated to water, but I don't dispute the fact that water could have caused the GEM to go bad, if that makes any sense. I can try on a day that it isn't raining.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Well, yes and no. it wasn't raining, but there was a little bit of dew on the windshield. I'd have to say that it's 100% unrelated to water, but I don't dispute the fact that water could have caused the GEM to go bad, if that makes any sense. I can try on a day that it isn't raining.
Jap I got a couple extra GEM's hanging around, your welcome to swpa it out and give it a try

1 - 20 of 84 Posts