Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you have read I have been fighting with my 05 6.0 since the day I bought the truck. Dealship has put in 4 injectors, 1 sleeve and all the cups in the last 2 trips to the shop. Monday morning on my way to Minneapolis was driving along at 60mph with no load and truck just dies. No warning lights no bucking or jerking just slowly kept loosing power till it was just coasting along. Managed to get off the highway and started to pull over in a parking lot and bingo starts running a bit better. With in 2 minutes truck seemed to be running fine again and ran 65 all the way back home to switch vehicles. Now I don't have any gauges yet because I have been afraid to get anything for this truck in case I have to "lemon" it back to dealer. I am thinking the dealership is just fixing what is wrong and not getting to the under lying cause of the loss of power and the injector failures. Begining to wonder about possible HPOP issues. The previous time it acted up I would have to let the truck sit for 30 minutes or so and then was able to start it back up and limp it home. It is a small dealership here in Northern IA and they have been doing all the work on their dime but I don't think their diesel mechanic has quite enough "seasoning". Any suggestions that I could "politely" pass on to the tech when I talk to him. He is off till Thursday for a 3 day training session at Ford :)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Sound like there's something that can't keep up at time. Could be HPOP could be fuel system or something of that kind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Though maybe it had gelled but truck was full of -25 fuel and treated with Ford anti-gel. Fact that it came out of it so quick leads me to believe it wasn't gelled. Would think that if it had gelled she would have just been done till I changed the filters. Wasn't gelled the other 2 times it did this either. Just wiped out a couple of injectors supposedly.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I'm curious as to what they are scanning it with to determine that it has bad injectors? A person can throw a ton of $ at a truck before replacing a failing $50 sensor and getting lucky to hit the right part. It sounds like what they are doing.

I'd be willing to bet that if the pertinent information was posted here someone would have you on the right track in no time. Ask them for a data log.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will see if they can get me that data log.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I'm curious as to what they are scanning it with to determine that it has bad injectors? A person can throw a ton of $ at a truck before replacing a failing $50 sensor and getting lucky to hit the right part. It sounds like what they are doing.

I'd be willing to bet that if the pertinent information was posted here someone would have you on the right track in no time. Ask them for a data log.
I honestly think they're just throwing parts at it trying to make you happy but probably have no clue what they're doing with it as masterkee has said. Eventually they'll find the right part I'm sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a Blue Oval truck man but this is shaking my faith. Just need to get it fixed so I can start on my addons so that I can see what it is doing myself.LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
Check / change your fuel filters .. Just to rule it out . Do a blue spring mod, it's like $40 from ford. Could be a bad spring which causes you to lose fuel pressure potentially killing injectors. There could be some truth to the injector issues .. So step 1: change filters , 2: blue spring mod

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I am a Blue Oval truck man but this is shaking my faith. Just need to get it fixed so I can start on my addons so that I can see what it is doing myself.LOL
To be honest there's always a reason why someone sold that vehicle.aybe they were chasing down the gremlins or whatever but at least you have a warranty on it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Every truck has it's weird quirks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure the previous owners knew about these issues. The problem is that they only show up after a fairly long run time or under a good heavy load. I highly doubt the dealship hooked it up to a trailer or test drove it for over an hour so no hard feelings towards them. I took it out and beat on it for 30 min and the day I test drove it it was -10 outside and it started right up without being plugged in so thought I had a winner lol.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Usually they will have it running earlier that morning to make sure it will start right up for you when you get there. You may still have a very good truck they're just going to have to find the issue or take it back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So they brought the truck back to me Friday afternoon. They had found an issue logged with Ford that matched what my truck was doing and said they reflashed the PCM. They tried for 2 days to get it to act up again and it ran fine. I took it and drove it for 100 miles yesterday and truck was great! Got 17.28 mpg hand calculated! Then this morning got up started truck and it was idling rough. Thought well it is just cold. Backed out of yard and truck stopped moving in the alley. Barely had enough oomph to get truck back into my yard. :( At my wits end. The 30 day warranty from dealer is up today and I have more than enough problems to warrant a "lemon" return per Iowa law. Really leaning towards giving them truck back and trying something different.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So dealer came and picked up truck this afternoon. They want one more shot it. Holy crap you should have heard it when they started it. Loud, shaking just running like poo. Thing even died before the tech could back it up. Don't know if the thing made it the 20 miles back to dealership or not. Owner told my wife it didn't matter what it took, even a new engine, they would take care of it. I have been catching a ton of flack from the Powerstroke haters :ford:but I still love my blue oval trucks!

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
I may be inclined to hang in there if they extended that warranty in writing. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going on 3rd day with no truck. Dealership did call and tell me that they got 8 new injectors and will be replacing all of those besides what ever they find to be causing the truck to die.:mad:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the big rig back on Saturday and it seems to be running great. Lots more throttle response, starts better, just feels like it is running 100% better than when I first got it. They but 8 new injectors in it and discovered that the fuel tank had algae in it. Previous owner lived close to MN so it may have had biodiesel in it and to top it off it sat for 5 months on the lot with under a quarter of a tank. Removed all my old fuel, cleaned tank and replaced filters again and seems to be ok. I treated the tank of fuel in it now with CRC Bioclean just to be safe and will change filters again at the end of this tank of fuel to be on safe side. Maybe my ordeal is finally over so I can get down to making the truck "mine" lol!:bowfast:

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
Glad you got her back on the road. Good luck to you!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts