Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved this out of another thread. My truck bucks under light load between 1,750-2,000rpm and between 65-75mph. I have no idea what the cause is but I am checking into a few things.

The bucking at higher speeds doesn't sound like a stiction issue. Take a look at the ICP, ICPV, ICP desired, and IPR duty cycle when the bucking happens.
What specifically am I looking for? I don't know much about what values I should be at. I did go for a drive today and data logged it with live link (first time using it) but I cannot interpret the information. I do know know that it happens from 65 to 75mph, between 1,750 and 2000rpm, in what seems to be 6th gear converter locked up. It only does it when I try to accelerate hard at this speed, more frequently uphill under light loads when it doesn't want to down shift and it doesn't seem to need to. Like I said I don't know what the squiggly lines mean.

could this be a ICPV problem. IT was as far as I could tell around 3000psi when this happened and I do have a revised fitting installed on my hpop.

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
Can you add the log as an attachment?

Sent from my Smart Car

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can Ill do another run today with only the info needed. which do i need?

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
ICP Desired,Actual,Voltage,IPR duty cycle. Watch turbo boost also

Sent from my Smart Car

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant attach the file as it is to big. what am I looking for?

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey all,

The problem has now progressed to surging between 100-500rpm at a time when trying to accell on the highway. truck also feels very short on power especially above 2400 rpm. The truck is making high boost quickly (too quickly) and I think it is gonna try to grenade its self on my ride home from work. What would cause the boost and rpms to fluctuate and go crazy like this. I tried restoring the truck to stock on the tuner and it only reduced the surging but it is still present.

·
JGman141
859 Posts
More than likely it's the vain's of the turbo being stuck, only way to fix it is to pull the turbo off and clean the whole thing really well on the turbine side.

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont think it is the turbo vanes as I cleaned them less than 10,000 miles ago, and I don't drive any other way than hard. I think it is more likely a sensor issue. I fiddled with the IPR wire a tidbit and I tied up a heater hose that was sitting on the injector harness. Then i switched to my perfecon tune and it didn't seem to be having any of the same issues on my drive home. Also I was watching the vgt duty cycle and it was changing, unless that changes regardless of stuck vanes. It seemed more like the computer didn't know what to do with everything. How can I test the IPR, the IPS, the EBPS , and any of the other sensors?

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
problem is still present. I'm probably going to need dealer support on this one as it is starting to scare me a bit. Once it scares me more than a bill from the dealer I will have to get it checked out.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
pull codes i'll bet you have a contribution balance fault. As far as the surging goes, check ICP pressure/voltage when it acts up, compared to ICP desired.

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i tried to pull codes with my tuner but it said it had none. Will my live wire ts only pull hard codes? Where do I find ICP desired?

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used livelink to monitor the ICP and ICP desired, and the ICP was topping out and not sticking with the desired when i put my foot to the floor. I'm going to take another data log with stock tuning to see if there is any difference. I also noticed when the truck does the bucking in overdrive, the desired ICP zig zags up and down. any idea what this means? I'm not very good with the electronic side of engines. I more of a wrench turner.

·
Registered
926 Posts
sounds like you have a smoked injector. how does it idol? thinking its a bad oil side with higher pressure oil. ICP should be pretty consistant when at a certain speed or pedal position. only way to make it fluctuate is by stabbing the throttle up and down a little bit

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It idles fine. The ICP desired was fluctuating on it's own. when I floor it the desired levels out at the max and the actual drops off and levels out. It's at the ford truck center right now to be diagnosed. Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took it to the dealer and the tech could only get a slight contribution drop on the #3 injector twice, so I think it is OK there. I embarrassed to say but this was a lesson in the simple things. the tech blew out the air filter and said most of the power came back.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh: I had thought to clean it and forgot. It has probably been around 20,000 miles since i cleaned and oiled it, and around 17,000 when the first signs of the bucking issue. As pictured before I feel like $120.00 worth of idiot, and this seems to have fixed most if not all of the problem. The filter on the truck is wore out pretty good and the oil has started melting the rubber parts of the filter, so I ordered a new AFE stage 2 si sealed intake that I liked more than the open top airaid and got a pre-filter bag to go on it to increase the intervals. I will be trying to get the truck to do what it was driving to and from work this week, and see if all is well in the kingdom. also please no stock filter comments please, I read way to many of them when choosing a new CAI. Feel free to rag on my oversight though as that is pretty funny.

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
I'm just glad you got it fixed and it was something simple. Sometimes it just takes a 2nd eyes on opinion to fix something the initial person accidentally overlooked.

·
Eric
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the surch is back on as the truck started doing it again. THe new CAI went on and it ran beautiful for a few days then it started (New description) lugging when it gears down, then it gears down again so im at 3000 rpm and 25psi of boost, and still little power. Is thee a limp mode on any part of this truck? Its got to be a computer or high preasure issue as the contribution tens came back good, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts