Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across these pictures tonight and it seems someone recently was looking for some photos alongs these lines so I uploaded them.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
just red Xs for me

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Nice job on that. Mine is similar to that although I couldn't mount it to the bumper due to the front hitch (mine has to sit a few inches higher and is actually mounted with brackets up off the hitch). Cheers!

·
Registered
782 Posts
job well done:rockwoot:

·
Registered
36 Posts
thats excatly what i want to do, where can i find one of those coolers?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Very nice, same spot BTS mounted my V10 cooler.

One thing you would want to do differently than those pictures is mount it so the inlet and outlet are at the top, otherwise it may not purge all the air from the cooler. Air likes to go to the top of the system.

harrymank, you would still run it through the cooler in the radiator to speed transmission oil warmup in the winter.

Dave

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice, same spot BTS mounted my V10 cooler.

One thing you would want to do differently than those pictures is mount it so the inlet and outlet are at the top, otherwise it may not purge all the air from the cooler. Air likes to go to the top of the system.

harrymank, you would still run it through the cooler in the radiator to speed transmission oil warmup in the winter.

Dave
Interesting idea Dave, I did not consider that. It must be working pretty much OK as the temps are good. I will have to check it out sometime with the temp gun. You have me curious.

I run it though the radiator as well as. I did it that way so that you still have the benefit of air to water when there is not airflow.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
That was just something that was reinforced to me when I was working on motorhome fluid systems with some pretty stringent engineers.

I've only personally seen one instance where a cooler mounted that way was airlocked. We flipped the cooler over and the cooling issues went away.

Dave

·
Registered
345 Posts
That was just something that was reinforced to me when I was working on motorhome fluid systems with some pretty stringent engineers.

I've only personally seen one instance where a cooler mounted that way was airlocked. We flipped the cooler over and the cooling issues went away.

Dave
I agree with the idea of the air, but when I installed mine, most ppl recomended to install the cooler in the way that TomS´s is installed, because in that way is not possible to catch any debris in the bottom, and nobody has airlocked issues, but now you make me think. FYI I havent had any problems till today.

BTW very good pics Tom

·
crazed & deranged farmer
1,054 Posts
did you bypass the radiator? i have been thinking about doing this on my truck.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
How much room is there between your Banks cooler and the trans cooler?
What are your trans temps?
I had to mount my 6.0 trans cooler behind my Banks intercooler, just no other way to fit it. My trans temps aren't as low as I'd like because of this, might consider swapping to one of those.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My trans temps in warm weather are about 75 to 100 deg over ambient. I switch to a cooler in this location as with the BTS having the cooler behind the intercooler was just a bit warmer then I wanted.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Does one need to order with or without the thermal bypass? I don't think it is needed here in Atlanta but what are other's thoughts?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts