Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been having trouble starting my truck when it is cold out, to the point it will kill my batteries to the point where I need a jump. This only started happening after I starting plugging it in for the night. The last two winters I never plugged it in and had no problems what so ever. I recently changed the oil/oil filter and both fuel filters (thinking maybe there was some water in the fuel. A guy I work with suggested that maybe it could be the fuel injection control module which is quite expensive and I want to make sure first. If I plug the truck in over night it seems to start no problem but I can't always plug it in... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
56 Posts
First, take the batteries out of your truck and run them down to the local auto parts store. Ask them to load test them for you. Replace them as a set if either of them test marginal or fails.
When you get home, place the batteries on a battery charger and get them up to a 100% charge, even if they are new.
Before dropping the batteries back in, clean the connectors and check over the cables.
Next, you will need a helper and a multi-meter to check the FICM voltage.
Do this test with the engine cold, and don't have it plugged in.
CLICK HERE for a good write-up on how to check your FICM voltage.
The reason for checking the batteries is that weak batteries can kill a FICM. You don't want to repair a FICM and drop it in and have the weak batteries eat it all over again.

I would bet that your FICM is gone and needs to be repaired. Check out ficmrepair.com

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,319 Posts
A FICM issue is about $300 for the repair (I second the FICMrepair.com recommendation) - you almost certainly would not need a new one.

·
loud and long
567 Posts
Have u checked ur glow plugs?????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts