Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last couple days been having trouble starting on first try.
but dont think is a battery problem or anything.

but it white smoke when it first starts.
but after first time starts fine the rest of the day.

anyone have any ideas.greatly appreciated

Thanks John

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What has the temperature been like outside when you are trying to start the truck for the first time of the day? If it has been cold out and you are having issues then I would look at the glowplugs and glowplug relay. White smoke is normal on startup if it goes away fairly quickly as the truck is running. If it continues to smoke for a bit then you may have other issues.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Check your HPOP tank before you first start it. If it is more than 1/2-3/4 of an inch below the plug you have most likely an injector o-ring problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its like 50 and my truck started fine throughout the winter without being plugged in. what u mean the tank on the hpop

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
HPOP resevoir is what he means by "tank". The metal housing in the front top of the engine right where your HPOP is located. There is a plug that you can remove with a 3/16" allen socket or wrench and check the oil level in there. If it is more than about 1/2? below the top of the resevoir then you may have o-ring issues or drain back issues. Truck information would help greatly in diagnosing your problem. Fill in your sig with your truck info such as year model trans type and any upgrades or performance mods you have done to it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
if you stripped out the res tank allan head. What is the best way to take it out?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
you could try a die gringer and put a slot in it and use a screwdriver other wise pull the tank off and drill it out and use a screw extractor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks im not sure on some stuff new to diesels.so the hpop is right on the top front of the motor
my truck is stock besides straight piped exhaust.
it has 150k on it. dont know when the last time the glow plug relay was replaced or glow plugs.but now that it was like 80 today it started fine

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so now its starting to slow crank every start. the battery guage is pretty low when you first turn the key. then it goes to the middle of the gauge. and seems like a rough idle until it does that. any help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Starter if its having a hard time cranking. Or bad batt's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
both batteries gettin 12.6 volts starter is at 0 when key is turned.
anyone got any ideas. its not reallly cranking slow maybe for a couple of secs but it used to crank alot faster.i just dont want to get stranded

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
The first thing you should do is have the alternator tested to make sure it is good. Advance and the like test them for free. I would say that you have one or more bad batteries. If you find out your alternator is bad then you have eliminated the reason for them going bad. You have to have your batteries tested individually. If they test them while they are connected in parallel the good battery will make the bad one look ok. Also make sure your glow plug relay is not staying in a closed contact position after the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
the factory replacement is about 36 bucks at napa.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If you tested the batteries individually and they're at 12.6, and there's really nothing at the starter, that's a switching/wiring issue in the starting circuit. Do you hear the fender relay click when you turn the key to START?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just checked my batteries with the cables off and both batteries have 13 volts. and i was thinking if was my alternator that it would of drained them batteries since ive drove a couple hundred miles in the last few days.
but it does seem keep getting slower and slower cranking especially after long drives.i just need to figure something out or something else to check before it breaks down.
thanks guys

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so i ohm tested the connectors at valve covers.and i was getting 0.6 on all of them. then i went ahead and put a glow plug relay. and it stills cranks slow. and i rechecked the glow plugs now there like 1.6-2.1. now im just stuck on what to do

1 - 20 of 39 Posts