Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its been mentioned in another thread Ill share my plan. Its easier to put together in my head then to put in words but here we go. My plan is to start by modding the stockers. Now where to put the third? Ill be moving the passenger side battery to the frame and pretty much deleting the air intake and putting the turbo where the intake was and building a custom intake where the battery was (much like the dirty diesel intake). My choice of turbo is going to be a Garrett 47, mostly because my buddy has one I can have and because its a pretty good sized unit. Im also going to be doing a wastegate off the up pipes but instead of having it feed into the downpipe it will be feeding into the hot pipe of the third turbo I figure if it goes in the downpipe its just wasted energy. As soon ass I can get my hands on some dual pumps Im going to be starting this but until then I hope this pics will give you an idea of what my plan is. Any input is welcome.

This might be a Duramax but how I plan on doing this it is very similar.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me and my buddy figure with how Im doing it should flow enough air for 900ish HP. Id start this tomorrow if I had the pumps. My goal is 1000hp by June. Im either going to make my goal or watch my engine go kaboom those are the only 2 options I hope its option #1 tho.

·
I make smut cry
3,533 Posts
I'd call Wide Open for any info or questions you may need answered.

Zane has built a triple turbo Cummins

*on edit* - Jim Rosewood built a triple turbo 7.3 back in the day. He goes by Dzljim on the boards. He may also be able to lend you a hand with any questions you may have

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
There is a guy up here in CT that built tripples for his 24v. All 3 on his setup were the same size 62/70's maybe. From what I have seen on the tripples it is still only 2 stages. Aren't the turbo's on the 6.4 compound already? So this would be 3 stages of compression, right?

Looking forward to seeing the progress single turbo 6.4 and now a tripple, definitely some awesome work :ford:

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
WELL.... i dont know where to start. Most tripple set ups untilize 2 atmospheric chargers, of the same size and they feed a high pressure turbo. In all reality you could run 3 of the same size turbos, its like compounded twins but your using 2 smaller atmospheric chargers instead of 1 big one... that being said i dont know how this is going to play out, thats a big turbo to be feeding 2 smaller turbos... the wastegate is a good idea, but i dont know how its all going to play feeding stockish turbos, thats just me, I have ran tripples thru my head, and i know how i would do it, and what size turbos i would use (now that i know how these things spool a single)

Isnt that just a twin set up in that duramax?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
definatly want to see how it works out, your talking 1000hp on fuel right? best of luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You could scrap all the stock stuff and put the same turbos I have on.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thats the way I would do it. I have thought about running a single in the valley like we did on dustins, then two atmospheric chargers feeding it. I would think it would be a waste of time to use the little turbos that come on there factory.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
not to steal away from your idea of the triple but what about a TRUE twin turbo set up?
???:shrug:

The tripples that are on your truck should work really well for a 6.4 IMHO...

My thoughts are if you are going to spend 3k to mod the stock turbos, that would give you enough money in that alone to buy 3 borgwarner turbos, and have a better set up than they way that you are talking, Just my opinion though.

My thoughts were a 64-66 high pressure turbo with 2 62-60mm atmospheric turbos...

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Thats the way I would do it. I have thought about running a single in the valley like we did on dustins, then two atmospheric chargers feeding it. I would think it would be a waste of time to use the little turbos that come on there factory.
my thoughts exactly, put the two atmospheric chargers on a log style set up like JD's turbo's on the right front where the battery used to be.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well it could work but alot of R&D went into my turbos will they surge, will they surge when towing or inbetween shifts for an auto, will the boost creep etc etc... All these potential problems are not a problem they work perfectly everywhere.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
My turbos would be wicked on a 6.4, they spool instantly with a slow spooling cummins.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
plus you are like way good in the map even at 700 hp, so the potential to crank up more fuel would be there
Ya they arent even close to being pushed.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts