Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

transmissions in the 04

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  kyle43335 
#1 ·
Does anybody know why the 04 powerstrokse famous for tranny problems? Is their anybody that has an 04 that has had problems with the tranny? What exactly goes bad in the tranny? iv heard snap rings pop out and reverse planetary gear pins back out, is their a fix for this to avoid problems in the future. And would custom tunes just make things worse?

#2 ·
i roached the trans in my 04' at 185k miles my shift solenoid hung up during a burnout and melted all kinds of stuff inside the trans.... i dont think you will have any problems with custom turning... i have an 06 model trans now and trunning custom tuning and i love it!

#4 ·
love the street tune... havent used my tow pig tune yet... last trailer i pulled only weighed bout 25000# loaded..... id recommend his street race lite tune.... that will be the next tune i get for mine

#5 ·

http://www.transgo.com/sk_ford.php

SK®5R110
NEW

03-04 TorqShift
Trucks, Vans, SUV's
Gas & Diesel

Reduces/Corrects/Prevents: Case Lugs Blow OutRunaway Reverse Pressure-Slips or No Reverse
”N” at stop sign. World Champ Snap Ring.

#6 ·
What exactly goes bad in the tranny?
A pin that holds one of the planetary gears wasn't properly staked in place for a while during 2004. That pin can back out and make a mess.

There was a snap ring problem, but that started with a change made at the start of the 2005 model year. 2004 trucks don't have that problem.

#9 ·
have been runnning the extreme race tune from Innovative for a couple of years. I have an 04 and have no problems with the tranny. I don't pull to much of anything though. But I do launch it in 4x4 with 200hp shot of nos. Still no problems but if it swallows it's ass tomorrow I don't guess I could complain any lol

#12 ·
Ive got an 04 running eric's Xtreme race, its got 106,XXX miles....no problems yet.

#14 ·
The Customer Satisfaction Program being referenced in this thread is Ford Field Service Action #04B24. It was supposed to address the issue of the reverse planetary drum snap ring "walking" out of the case, causing major collateral damage, which if determined severe enough, resulted in transmission replacement. The downside is, this program has long expired. I remembered reading on Protech message boards of LOTS and LOTS of Ford dealer transmission techs quitting because of this campaign.

Back to the topic at hand, it seems this issue was more prevalent on late-2004 and some early-2005 model years (even though 2005 model years weren't covered under this program).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.