Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I've been chasing an annoying whine for a couple weeks now. I don't think its the belts, alternator, AC, or PS but I could be wrong, I did the checks I know how to do. I'm thinking its a transmission problem. Its a 2011 F250 XL 75K miles 6r140 tranny. I'm the second owner, out of warranty. I couldn't figure it out and decided to ask the dealer for some help before I spent a bunch of money on something I wasn't sure about. The whine occurs when accelerating mildly and the whine increases in volume with RPMS. If I really jam on the gas the engine noise overpowers the whine and you can't hear it, so only under mild acceleration can you hear the whine. Its not a super loud noise and really only kicks in around 2200rpms. If I'm coasting and put the truck in neutral and increase RPMs the whine is still there. If I'm in park, the noise is not present if I rev the engine. If I'm going somwhere around 40mph and use the gear selector to down shift the noise appears as I shift lower and the engine increases in RPM. The noise is constant in volume if the RPMS stay at the same elevated level.

The dealer said its probably the torque converter and recommended a TC replacement (3600$ total) or full tranny replacement (7500 total). Freaking expensive at a dealer, goodness. If it's just the TC, idk why they recommened a new tranny. Makes me think that maybe its the pump and they aren't sure and just want to cover their ass if I do just the TC and it ends up being a different problem. The tranny fuild is new (15k miles) and has a new filter. The fluid looks good and is full.

As a side note, i just had my transfer case replaced. it blew out. maybe unrelated or maybe this whine is related.

So here are my questions:
1) how can I test a TC without taking the tranny out?
2) will a TC whine? I read somewhere that being to close to the flex plate can cause a whine. or maybe its another problem
3) how can I test to see if its a gear or pump problem and not a TC problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Find a reputable transmission shop vs a Fords parts changer IMO
Thanks! Not many transmission joints around my town but might be worth driving somewhere. I did some more testing and found it really only whines while in 4th gear. If its only 4th gear, that kind of rules out the transfer case and a pump problem right? maybe a gearing/bearing issue deep inside the tranny?

I'm not really sure what happened to the Transfer case. It happened about a month ago. It just went out driving on the highway with a loud grumble/grinding and I lost all power after hitting a huge pothole. It happened on the way to the airport for my honeymoon and I just paid a shop to fix it while I was gone. funny timing and great first expense as a married man. total replacement. The shop manager took me back and showed me the old parts and didn't look that bad. I think one of the planetary gears went out.

·
Administrator
33,140 Posts
Were you in 4x4 when the transfer case failed ?

the internal pump just feeds the output when in 2x4

that 6r is complex I am not even sure our resident transmission engineer is familiar with them
keep us posted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts