Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 F350 4x4 Crew cab automatic transmission. Had transmission rebuilt30,000 miles ago but truck sit a lot. When I take off cold transmission shifts beautifully till I get about 2 miles down the road and it warms up. THEN when I start off in "D" it starts off in first gear then I have to Manually shift to "2" and it will shift to 2nd and 3rd gears, then I have to manually shift the selector to "D" and the transmission will go all the way to Over Drive skipping the 4th gear. By doing this of course it has no power when pulling a load, even an empty trailer.

I put a transmission flush to see if that would help.... NO. Next I changed fluid and filter to no avail. Then I added Lucas Transmission Fluid Treatment and still no help. Took to my mechanic, not the one that overhauled the Transmission, and he checked for any codes and could not get any.

Has anyone ever had this problem or heard of this problem.

Thanks

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,131 Posts
That can't happen.

Here is what I think IS happening. When you manually shift to 2 it upshifts to second gear and stays there. It cannot shift to 3rd when the lever is in 2. The torque converter will lock, and that feels like a shift.

When you go to D, it will shift right to overdrive, which IS 4th gear, if the speed is high enough. That's normal. Somewhere around 40 MPH is fast enough to do this.

I think you need someone that has a scan tool that can look at live data. I think there is something wrong with the data the computer is seeing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That can't happen.

Here is what I think IS happening. When you manually shift to 2 it upshifts to second gear and stays there. It cannot shift to 3rd when the lever is in 2. The torque converter will lock, and that feels like a shift.

When you go to D, it will shift right to overdrive, which IS 4th gear, if the speed is high enough. That's normal. Somewhere around 40 MPH is fast enough to do this.

I think you need someone that has a scan tool that can look at live data. I think there is something wrong with the data the computer is seeing.
OK, it cant happen but then why when it is cold it shifts thru 4 gears and then locks up into OD, and when it warms is when it starts the trouble. Yes, I'll have to get it to someone else to get scanned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts