Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 99 7.3 with 190,000 miles. I was going to service transmission and was advised not to if i didn't know if it had been done in the past. I was told if i done the service i could create problems. Some advice on this would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
8,334 Posts
find a different shop, they are full of shiet.
service the trans every 30-35 k miles.
change fluid and filter, but do not chemical flush it.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,075 Posts
I was going to service transmission and was advised not to if i didn't know if it had been done in the past. I was told if i done the service i could create problems.
Would you also do that with the engine? If you didn't know the oil change history would you just never change the oil? That makes as much sense as never changing the transmission fluid.

If the transmission is in good shape new fluid can only help it. If the trans is damaged and about to fail new fluid will not fix it, nor will it prevent the failure.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Would you also do that with the engine? If you didn't know the oil change history would you just never change the oil? That makes as much sense as never changing the transmission fluid.

If the transmission is in good shape new fluid can only help it. If the trans is damaged and about to fail new fluid will not fix it, nor will it prevent the failure.
You would be shocked at how prevalent that belief is. I hear it all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks each of you for the input. That was my thinking also on going ahead a servicing the transmission. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask others on the issue. Thinking about using the Schaeffer brand. Have any of you used that brand?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts