Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The original $5 foot long
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered a bunch, I didnt find much in my search. Just wondering "about" how much power a stock auto will handle? It wouldnt be pulling anything but would have a 140 chip and most likely get romped on alot to get up to speed asap. Is there any some what wallet freindly upgrades or tricks that will help it take the power and lost longer? Im just still trying to find out as much as I can before I get one. Would the 99+ auto's handle more power and last longer or are they about the same? How about the manual trans, will the clutches if shifting good, last longer than the auto trans?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Valve body will make the trans shift faster which will reduce the friction and heat from the clutches ~$200 plus fluid, really easy install

torque convertor is the weaker link ~$800 for a good billet front cover triple disk unit, trans removal is required for install.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Valve body will make the trans shift faster which will reduce the friction and heat from the clutches ~$200 plus fluid, really easy install

torque convertor is the weaker link ~$800 for a good billet front cover triple disk unit, trans removal is required for install.
What he said.
That will help but not a sure thing.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
And on an older trans, when it gives, you have to send the TC out to be cleaned. It has to be cut apart, cleaned, welded back and balanced. Cost me about $400

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Don't know if I would do the triple disc on an old trans. I went with a stock one on my 135K mile trans along with a JW valve body and dp tuner. Working great so far towing a 12K+ toyhauler in the mtns a lot. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Great option is a 6.0 converter thats made to install on a 7.3. Direct replacement, no pump mods required like a much more expensive Stallion. PM if you would like additional info prices.

Cary

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I dont even have a truck yet but I plan too soon. Im thinking Im going to try for atleast a 99 though. Do the same mods apply to the tranny on it?
And if I were to get a manual, prolly not really anything to help the clutch out is there? I will rarely pull any thing real heavy. And I want to beable to get up to speed asap, are the 6sp's hard to shift through quickly? I havent seen any locally to test drive so I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks guys. I dont even have a truck yet but I plan too soon. Im thinking Im going to try for atleast a 99 though. Do the same mods apply to the tranny on it?
And if I were to get a manual, prolly not really anything to help the clutch out is there? I will rarely pull any thing real heavy. And I want to beable to get up to speed asap, are the 6sp's hard to shift through quickly? I havent seen any locally to test drive so I have no idea.
IIRC, they should since they are 4R100. I think you are worrying about it too much. What are you buying the truck for if you are not pulling anything real heavy often? If you own a 10000# RV, sure. If you own a pop-up camper, probably not.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think maybe you are right, I might be just telling myself its going to break down. The only experience I have with a powerstroke is from a OBS that was a buddy's work truck and the trans went out on it 2 times in the same year. I will be towing stuff but nothing huge, mainly a small trailer with a utv on it. I just like the fact that the engine is so reliable and can easily/cheapily have more noticeable power pulled from it, thats why I want one. None of my gas rigs have ever lasted more than 200k miles and everyone keeps telling me these are barely "broken in" at 200k, wich is a nice selling point imo.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I think maybe you are right, I might be just telling myself its going to break down. The only experience I have with a powerstroke is from a OBS that was a buddy's work truck and the trans went out on it 2 times in the same year.

I will be towing stuff but nothing huge, mainly a small trailer with a utv on it. I just like the fact that the engine is so reliable and can easily/cheapily have more noticeable power pulled from it, thats why I want one. None of my gas rigs have ever lasted more than 200k miles and everyone keeps telling me these are barely "broken in" at 200k, wich is a nice selling point imo.
Everything breaks sooner or later. Now, if you get a cheapo rebuild, it might break faster. I knew a guy who broke 5 transmissions in a year. All stick transmissions too. Are they crap? Probably not. Jasper? IIRC, yes.

Well, there is that but also note that the truck sells for more when you specify the diesel option. I can only guess but I think that will have an effect on the reselling price.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
OK, time for my opinion. If I were going to tow only a small trailer I would buy a F250 with the 5.4. I have 4 6.0's, duallys with flatbeds and welders and such. At least 1-2 are in the shop at all times. For my concrete finishers I bought 3 F250's with 5.4's. The F250's have never been in the shop other than normal pm and service. The cost difference between the dually psd's and the F250's was a large sum. The diesel option alone was $5K. These will be sold as the warranty expires and replaced with F250's with small 2 axle trailers for the welders and tools. Without the warranty I cannot afford to keep them. Repairs are sooooo much more on the diesel.

My personal dually 7.3 will stay because I pull a 12K trailer.

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the opinions, again everybody. Im for sure going diesel this time though, Ive had alotta gas rigs, the newer 6.0 gmc being my favorite but its just time for something different....and yeah, I'll admit it, I like seeing them smoke. lol. who doesnt though.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I like seeing them smoke. lol. who doesnt though.
Who doesn't you ask? The guy that pissed me off and I blew black smoke at, that's who. :evil:evil

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
as well as the guy riding a bicycle down the middle of the lane on a 2 lane rd with a lot of oncoming traffic. When I got the chance I hit the 60T and couldn't see him for a while. I was just giving my experience with the 2 trucks. The 6.0's are just not very dependable. And expensive without a warranty.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
as well as the guy riding a bicycle down the middle of the lane on a 2 lane rd with a lot of oncoming traffic. When I got the chance I hit the 60T and couldn't see him for a while. I was just giving my experience with the 2 trucks. The 6.0's are just not very dependable. And expensive without a warranty.
Way ahead of you there. I got Jody to give me a smoke tune specifically for that reason. LOLLOL

·
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A manual is alot cheaper to build for more power isnt it? I was looking at this earlier and some of the trucks Ive looked at have been 5sp obs'. Im not sure what my question is lol but just looking for some input I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts