Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got a question that hopefully someone has some insight on.
This scenario has happened twice now. When towing, I will manually put the column shifter in 2nd going down a hill so I don’t have to ride the brakes. After getting to a slow enough speed or coming to a full stop I will manually shift the truck back into drive. Right before I shift it back into drive the truck completely shuts off, and I have to scramble to get the truck into neutral to re start the truck.
Has anyone had this happen to them? I’m not sure where to even begin.
For more info, the truck is a 1997 f350 crew cab long bed with an e40d transmission. Bone stock transmission as far as I know.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,088 Posts
I've never seen that happen. The first step would be to check for stored codes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It might help to know a LOT more about the truck - its options, miles, maintenance, modifications, damage, repairs, history... Put it all into your signature so we can review it with each reply:

(phone app link)

I'd check the condition of the ignition switch & lock cylinder, since the symptom seems to relate to the steering column.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It might help to know a LOT more about the truck - its options, miles, maintenance, modifications, damage, repairs, history... Put it all into your signature so we can review it with each reply:

(phone app link)

I'd check the condition of the ignition switch & lock cylinder, since the symptom seems to relate to the steering column.

(phone app link)

The truck is a California 1997 f350 crew cab single wheel. Automatic transmission. I bought the truck 2 years ago with 124k miles on it, today it has about 140k miles on it. I bought the truck in stock form besides a 4” lift kit. Now the truck has a hydra tuner, 6637 air filter, 3” down pipe to 5” straight pipe exhaust. I’m in the process right now to replace injector o-rings and installing an adrenaline HPOP. Zero transmission work done to it to my knowledge.
I replaced transmission fluid within the last 5k miles. The maintenance on the truck to my knowledge has been top notch. I actually have maintenance records starting when the truck had 22k miles on it, and I have kept the same maintenance standards. Zero accidents according to the car fax.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. My first assumption would be in the transmission itself.
17497D38-859F-4F58-B029-C9CC89ADD95B.png

·
Registered
170 Posts
SIGNATURE <-

As the thread progresses, we aren't going to scroll back through the whole thing to find IF you posted it. The info needs to be available with each of your posts in plain text. We don't have all the codes memorized to decode everything from a photo of the VC label. Make it easy for us to help you.
I replaced transmission fluid within the last 5k miles.
With what? MotorCraft Mercon?
My first assumption would be in the transmission itself.
I doubt it - the transmission doesn't make the engine run, so no matter what happens to the trans (even if it's removed), the engine shouldn't just shut off.

·
College Student
212 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing for some time now. When going down hill for a length of time with no throttle input, it will die if the torque converter isnt locked up. Mine is a 95 4EOD. Its been doing this for the past 50k+ . Regularly changing the tranny fluid, always at a good level on the dipstick. Doesn't produce any codes hard/soft after it happens. Just hit neutral and start it again like nothing happened.... Truck has 275k... It sounds like it bogs down when shifting from 2nd to drive like stated in the original post. Or it will die as stated above too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts