Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Towed my 5,000lb boat home 30 miles. When i pull up to a light and it down shifts from 2nd to 1st, it slams hard into 1st. Only in tow haul towing the boat. Truck is not throwing any check engine lights. Was told it was the filter for the tranny cooler underneath the radiator, was told to change that. Truck only has 52,000 miles on it, any help?? please, thanks russ

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
What filter for the trans cooler? Unless someone added an aftermarket filter the only filter you have is in the pan. What color is the fluid? Does it smell burnt? Do you see metal particles in the fluid? Are there any other symptoms other than the one downshift issue? Does it slip at all during upshifts? How about shudder under acceleration? You may want to try a filter change and fluid flush before digging deeper.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
Since this was moved from the 6.0L section I'll assume you have a 6.0L truck. If not, just ignore this.

The 3-2 shift in tow/haul has always been a problem. You can't feel the 2-1 shift.
If you have a 2003 or 2004 there is updated software that makes it better. It is not a complete fix, and it also changes other things in tow/haul that some people don't like.

A work around is to disconnect both batteries to reset the adaptive software. The adaptive can learn itself into a bad place that it has a hard time learning it's way out of. That causes the pressure for the 3-2 shift to be too high.

The root cause of the problem is that there are two clutches that have to release and two clutches that have to apply to make the 3-2 in tow/haul. All four of those clutches have to finish what they are doing within 30 milliseconds of each other or the shift is going to slam. The only way to 100% fix this problem is to design a new transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2006 f250 6.0 transmission problems

Truck is a 2006 f250 6.0 motor truck has 52,000 miles on it.Towed my 5,000lb boat home 30 miles. When i pull up to a light and it down shifts from 2nd to 1st, it slams hard into 1st. Only in tow haul towing the boat. Truck is not throwing any check engine lights. Was told it was the filter for the tranny cooler underneath the radiator, was told to change that. Truck only has 52,000 miles on it, any help?? please, thanks russ
it slams realy hard when i come to a red light. thanks for the repies.russ

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,100 Posts
30 milliseconds? That's twice as fast as a Ferrari can shift...
I didn't say the shift takes 30 milleseconds. I said all four elements have to complete the shift within 30 seconds of each other. If one or more clutches finishes 30 milleseconds later than the others the shift is going to be terrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts