Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm new to the Forum so I'll try to make this short. Last Sundy I was driving my '02 F250 SD. I was going up an incline on I80 in Vallejo and suddenly the tach went up to 4K and I started slowing down. Ipulled over to the shoulder and put it in Park. I then put it in Drive and it didn't moved. I tried all forward positions and nothing. I need to mention that for a while now, if I don't let the truck warm up for at least 10-15 minutes, it barely moved forward or reverse. After it warmed up, it moved just fine. My question is, does this sound like a Torque Conveerter or the Pump? I checked the fluid level and it's fine and the fluid is pink and there's no burnt smell to it. Any help would be more than appreciated.

·
PSN intsigator
6,092 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid pack on the valve body to me.

·
PSN intsigator
6,092 Posts
Try this for testing the solenoid pack

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,039 Posts
It is impossible to be the solenoid body. Checking the electrical system is a waste of time. You will NOT find the problem in the electrical system. No matter what the solenoid body does you will always have reverse and at least one forward gear.

Something mechanical broke. We can speculate what broke, but no matter what it was the answer is that the trans needs to come out and be rebuilt or replaced. I include the torque converter as part of the trans.

·
PSN intsigator
6,092 Posts
Good to know

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Project Shamu
2,398 Posts
If I remember correctly, 2nd gear should be a "fully mechanical" gear, so if you were ever in an accident and ripped the harness off the trans (or however you damage the harness), you can still put it in 2nd and get it off the road or onto a tow truck or whatever.

So if 2nd doesnt work, then the trans is toast, like Mark said.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,039 Posts
If there is no power connected to the transmission it will have reverse. In D it will be in fourth gear with the converter unlocked. With the shifter in 1 or 2 it will have second gear. I do not know what a "fully mechanical" gear is.

·
Project Shamu
2,398 Posts
If there is no power connected to the transmission it will have reverse. In D it will be in fourth gear with the converter unlocked. With the shifter in 1 or 2 it will have second gear. I do not know what a "fully mechanical" gear is.
By "fully mechanical" I mean with no electrical connections, it will still go into 2nd, thus making it a "mechanical" connection correct? Sorry I mustve used the wrong terminology.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,039 Posts
No, that is not correct. With no electrical power to the transmission, it will be in fourth gear with the torque converter unlocked. If you select 1 or 2 with the shift handle you will have second gear.

·
PSN intsigator
6,092 Posts
No, that is not correct. With no electrical power to the transmission, it will be in fourth gear with the torque converter unlocked. If you select 1 or 2 with the shift handle you will have second gear.
Does anything on the solenoid pack control the locking an unlocking of the torque converter, or does it just control the clutch packs?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,039 Posts
The torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid controls the torque converter lock/unlock. The TCC is part of the solenoid body.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts