Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its about 50 degrees here and my transmission is running about 150 is this to high. It does have a rebuilt tranny is there a chance the tranny cooler got clogged just wondering what normal operating temp is

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When should i get worried and start looking for a 6.0 tranny cooler?

·
Administrator
33,049 Posts
The charts all look about the same but a short hill climb with a spike won' be a problem IMHO

150 is good ,, the new 6.7s run 200 with no load

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
That chart is complete BS. Ignore it, it has NO relation to reality.

Normal temps for a 4R100 is 60-100°F above ambient temp. So 150°F in 50°F is normal.

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts

Normal temps for a 4R100 is 60-100°F above ambient temp. So 150°F in 50°F is normal.
I completely agree. That chart is way off. I have always gone by the 100* above ambient temp rule.

Once you start to get above 215*, transmission life will begin to deteriorate.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
Once you start to get above 215*, transmission life will begin to deteriorate.
I disagree with that, too. Modern transmissions can run all day long for a long, long time at 220°F.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
The 4R100 is a modern transmission. 215°F will not hurt it.

·
Freak'n know it all
3,004 Posts
According to BTS 100 over ambient is normal and at about 245 you should start getting really worried at about 245

FWIW Mine just died a QUICK death at 265 ........ or so.... :doh:

·
Fort Collins, CO
31 Posts
Can anyone comment on what the temps should be for a ZF6 manual tranny?

·
Registered
62 Posts
my trans never heats up past 140 even on 80* days. i was thinkin it was running too cold cuz the pillar pod gauge says 170 is good temp for it

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I would listen to Mark. Mine used to run right at 100* over till I added another cooler but I tow in extreem heat on 6/7% grades with a 13K lb trailer. Now it will run about 65/70* over on the hard pulls.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Mark, I have a V10 powered F53 Motorhome GVWR 18,000 with a 4R100 trany. I replaced the stock smallish trans cooler with a 2005 F250 6.0 Cooler which is almost 3X the size. It runs now nominally at 110 -120. Even pulling a grade it does not break 130. Is that too cool? Is there any downside to running it this cool ? Will the torque converter lock up as designed under these conditions ?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
Where are you measuring these temperatures? That's pretty low.

Running too cool can allow moisture to collect inside the transmission. It can also delay torque converter lock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your reply. The temp gage sensor is on the supply line coming into the Cooler, so it is coming out of the trans and not on the back side of the Cooler. Shifting seems exactly same as before the cooler install and I have noticed no discernable drop off in mileage, but I have not measured it in detail yet. Would a clamp on the inlet side rubber hose to restrict flow a bit result in a temp gain into a more normal range, like 150 -160 be a good idea ?

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
A clamp on the cooler line should restrict the flow enough to reduce the lube flow to the rear of the trans, which will result in a destroyed transmission. Don't do that!

Is the line with the temp sender the one from the front or rear of the transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A clamp on the cooler line should restrict the flow enough to reduce the lube flow to the rear of the trans, which will result in a destroyed transmission. Don't do that!

Is the line with the temp sender the one from the front or rear of the transmission?
Roger on the Clamp,won't be doing that.
The flow routing in my picture that shows the sensor with the yellow crimp comes from the front of the trans. The diagram I followed showed this was the outlet of the trans. BTW I have read some posts about needing to get the temp up to boil off moisture. This unit is a MH based in the southwest and 90% of its miles are 4-5 hr stints at a time on highways, not stop-and-go short trips.....if that makes any difference.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,171 Posts
The front connection is the outlet from the trans to the coolers. I do not understand why yours is running so cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts